Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maintenance supplies?

Blog Entries
    Graham,

You just burst my joyous bubble when you asked if IPA was Isopropyl Alcohol. I was all set to tell my wife I needed to stock up big time on India Pale Ale.
    For those stubborn stains I was gonna fill a kegerator with a nice Porter, and perhaps some Guiness in a second one for those really stubborn times! Oh the good times I would have had in the shop!!!

Sigh.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

For plastics use a solvent such as IPA - i assume IPA stand for Isopropyl Alcohol.
    For MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Is it all 'created equal' and can be bought from eBay or do you have a prefered supplier (if you tell him that you are recomending him he may give you a discount on the stuff you buy)?
    Yup Isopropyl alcohol I get mine in 205 litre drums from a chemical supplier but most of the IPA you will find on ebay is the same stuff, don't keep too much of it around unless you have the facilities and inspections done, it burns...it REALLY burns! think "Fuel Air Explosion" when it goes wrong.

For bed cleaning I use Acetone or Ammonia (careful with both, Acetone dissolves lung tissue and Ammonia is a precursor chemical for crack cocaine manufacture so may raise interest from the authorities) if the bed is really bad with plastics residue, if it's MDF smut or ply then a jet wash (Cheapo karcher) and some limonine based cleaner will remove pretty much anything (without killing you in the process).

Try to store the various cleaners well apart from each other, there are some commonly available household items that can do a pretty good job of relocating your house if they get mixed

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Dave,

Limonine? Is that a UK name for an orange cleaner or am I mixing my products up? Orange cleaners are usually Terpene based if we are talking about the same things?

In looking this up I stumbled across a facebook listing for someone named Nerst Limonene. With apologies to Nerst, that name gave me a quick giggle. Wonder if he or she is related to the author Lemony Snickets? I am easily amused by the way. <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

It's a non toxic component of many cleaners brother mainly citric acid as a base with some other additives.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !