Thread: Tempering

Tempering

I am hanging doors and doing it the old-time way but this requires some modification to some of the miscellaneous hardware I have garnered to get the job done. If I am to re-form, lets call it a big iron forged spike, that will get pounded into a pre-drilled, this is no hole it is more of a mortice, in a post, how will I go about treating the spike further after I have heated and shaped it on the anvil? Do I:

let it cool in the air and nothing else
    quench it
    quench it and anneal it after that

It's a simple project for a simple-smith.

I have never done it but I was looking on a site and they heated the metal to a yellow orange color then immediately drop in in a bucket of water or oil. I would definitely try it on a scrap piece of the same material if you have some.

The question comes down to knowing whether the iron will come off the anvil one way or the other overly brittle once it's cooled down.

Without knowing the type of steel, it is impossible to give a good answer. If it is low carbon steel (very common); you should not need to do any heat treating. Annealing would not hurt and would help if you are using high carbon steel. You do NOT want a hinge to be hard and brittle.

It is an old hinge component, I want to modify it for mounting, that is to say pounding it into a post, so not much chance it is carbon steel and it's probably safe to say it's a hundred years old. So if we go on an assumption it is not carbon steel, how do I avoid a hard and brittle iron once I have heated it and hammered it to shape?

I will answer since no one else has even though i have never heat treated anything. It should not be hard and brittle if it does not cool fast. When annealing,I think typically they put a piece under warm ashes or sand for a slow cool.