Thread: Light-colored Rings on Cherry Spindle

Light-colored Rings on Cherry Spindle

Hi All,

I'm building a federal style candlestand that has the birdcage that allows the top to rotate and tilt. I'm new to this turning thing and ended up with these light colored bands on the posts! They popped up after I put a coat of finish on (watco danish oil). I sanded to 320 on the lathe and then scuffed with 220 with the grain.

Has anyone seen this before? Can I correct it or do I need to turn new spindles? If I need to turn new ones, how do I prevent it?

Thanksn in advance!
    Bob

Birdcage.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Coleman; 10-20-2014 at 2:48 PM.

Did you sand those transitions differently than the surrounding wood?

I would try leaving this in the sun for a couple days and see if it evens out. Cherry is prone to sun tanning itself into evenness.

It almost looks like bruising from the heel of your gouge.

Bob, it is my personal opinion that the difference in color is created by the difference in grain. The areas that are lighter in color are facegrain and everything else is a variation of cut endgrain. Endgrain will suck in the finish and the facegrain will not. That results in the endgrain always being darker than facegrain. Like I said, just my opinion. As far as a fix, about all you could do is eliminate the facegrain portion by turning it such that the bottom of the cove portions look like V cut and the center area has a faster transition to minimize the amount of facegrain exposed (think diamond shaped).

Nothing wrong with the way they look now!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve is on the mark on this one. This is common and just happens to show more on woods like cherry. I do agree that time and exposure to sunlight will resolve the issue over time.

Steve is one it. Cherry will sun tan after awhile. Don't change it, it is what it is.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! First time I've done these and was a little shocked when I put the finish on. Time to stop worrying and finish the legs.

Hi Bob,
    Try using a sanding sealer before applying the finish, this will prevent the end grain from absorbing more finish than the face grain.
    Peter F.