Thread: Penn State, Rockler and WoodCraft Pen Kits

Question Penn State, Rockler and WoodCraft Pen Kits

Are they Proprietary? Seems I read somewhere that I needed to be careful when buying Pen and Stopper Kits, Etc

Is there something I need to pay attention to when buying kits like these? I do not want to get a bunch of mismatched kits.

I see a kit for Pen Dis-assembly, is this a useful item or can be done other ways?

I do not mind spending money on useful tools that make a better end product. I have been picking up turning tools at Estate sales. I have a few decent cutters and also got the Bowl and Spindle stabilizers made by Oneway, I got both sets of wheels and brackets for $80.00, good deal?

I am looking at turning wood as a supplement income source so if anyone has some suggestions on specialty turning tools for Pens Etc I would appreciate it. Anything that will help me produce a top of the line turning. I have been in contact with a local turning club here but have not went to any meetings yet.

Thanks!

Alan, for much info in pen turning, you may want to check out the iap website.

Almost all pen kits are imported from Taiwan or China.

Quality goes more per kit than per retailer.

See a recent post here under 'refills' where I listed some kits I've found to be very good.

Dan

Here is a link to the IAP forum:

This forum is pretty much inclusive for pen turning, blank making, casting, etc. Very informative and also check out the library. Searching in the library will tell you almost anything you would need to know to turn pens.
    Tim.

(Edit: I hope posting a link here isn't against any rules. If it is, I apologize. Tim.)
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-20-2014 at 9:53 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum which violates the TOSs
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Dan, Tim Thanks! That looks like a great site for information.

sounds like you got a good deal on the stabilizers - would really need a pic to see what you got to know for sure.

as Dan said - visit IAP (since links to other forums are not allowed...Google "international association of pentuners") for the most/best information on pen turning.

and for disassembly - you need 2 things: a shop made mallet (free, unless you have to buy wood), and a transfer punch set from Harbor Freight ($10 or less). with those 2 things, you can take apart just about any assembled pen.

OneWay Stabilizers Update

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    sounds like you got a good deal on the stabilizers - would really need a pic to see what you got to know for sure.
    Thanks for the help. Here is what I bought.