Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer Practices

faciem is face in latin

This so-called f might also be construed as a symbol meaning, flat. I still don't think it is an f, either for flat or face, at all.

What's more, a check is a bad alternative being easily mistaken for the slash or slanted stripe indicating the prominent grain direction.

I like to make a mark parallel to the surface that I join on the butt/tail end that is about 1/4" off the face. If there is a problem with tear out and I reverse the feed, hen I will change the mark. I end up with a "L" type mark on the board and that helps when going to the planer or table saw, but that is a system that I have developed from others and use. Adjusting the outfeed table after sharpening or changing blades is a must, but I am not a purist enough to adjust for wear - need to sharpen at that point.

rear tables drop as much as front tables for start stop chambers or start stop under cuts in less than the length of the board like on stringer floor legs. All throw backs from the days when jointers were a universal wood working tool and more operation were use like cove cutting.
    jack
    English machines