Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormek/Jet sharpening

Derek, I have that D-way CBN wheel, except the radiused edge one, and love it. Fast, cool, and always ready with no fettling. I haven't felt the need for the coarser wheel, and it's so smooth, I don't want to put anything on the right side that will add vibration. The picture to the right is with it running, and I left it running like that to go to the truck to get the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-21-2014 at 9:26 PM.

Hi Tom

That is reassuring to hear. I have the same radiused wheel as yours coming. Should arrive this week.

Do you see much spark when grinding? It must be quite eerie with no vibration, no apparent movement of the wheel, and little to see from the wheels' action on the steel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I don't remember seeing any sparks. Certainly nothing like a regular dry grinder. The interesting thing is that I've started using water-just a little bit in a syringe. I used it to regrind the edge of a plastering trowel that had gotten ragged edged. I thought that I'd better cool it since it was so thin. Dry, it throws lots of tiny chips of metal. With the water, it all accumulates in a glob, and rolls down the back of the piece being ground, actually making less mess overall. I use the water almost all the time just for easy cleanup.

You can watch the wire edge being formed to judge how much to grind.

Blog Entries
    David, so we are neighbors practically. I live in the new town of Milton, near Crabapple, use to be Alpharetta. I work at a home business that is open 7 days a week so I am usually around. I worried about wearing the Tormek wheel down at first too David, but after years of use I still have most of the stone. I think you would have to wear out quite a few diamond flattening devices to seriously reduce ones size. In this regard the slow stone is nice to have.

I like the idea of the CBN wheel guys. I have had some serious issues with skin & respiratory system allergic reactions in the last two years and do not care to put metal and stone dust in/on the air, tools & shop. It sounds like the CBN wheel is better about that. I am particularly interested in using it with water as Tom mentions above. If I can keep the resulting refuse in water vs the air and everything else I would be a happy camper. Maybe Tom or someone could expand on using this wheel with water? I am not exactly sure how this would be done? Squirt or spray the wheel/tool with water while using it?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-22-2014 at 9:59 AM.

It sounds like the CBN wheel is better about that. I am particularly interested in using it with water as Tom mentions ab
    ove.

Mike

As far as I am aware, there is no need to use water as there is no dust created, and there is minimal heat generated. If you really do want to add water to the mix, and have a Tormek, there is a CBN wheel you can get for the Tormek.

This one is based in Australia, and included just for reference: http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/ite...-x-40mm-x-180g

Regards from Perth

Derek

Several years ago I had a reaction to some Brazilian Walnut (that's what Lumber Liquidators called it-but who knows?), was putting together a benchtop, which did turn out really beautiful. While drilling holes in it and cutting plugs I would inhale the smoke. Almost immediately started feeling bad.

When I have used the Tormek, I always try to grind across the face evenly, and especially with the diamond truer, take off as little as possible.

Another Question..........How small can you let the wheel get?

Those CBN wheels look really nice. However, they are a little pricey.

It cuts so fast, that little is thrown in the air, and certainly no dust from a friable grinding wheel. It does throw metal shavings though, and since ours is just drug out on a job site, my discovery of the use of a little water is just to keep all the metal chips consolidated. I just use an epoxy syringe (maybe an ounce if full) and dribble a little stream right on the edge of the piece being ground. There is no cleanup the way I do it other than with a piece of paper towel. If you have a place in your shop where it will be left and there is no worry about tiny bits of metal, it wouldn't matter. For a chisel, typically you're looking at a 4 second pass, look at the edge, and then maybe a couple of seconds more. I don't think there is anything that would be breathed in.

I really like the LV grinding rest too. It's unbelievably stable for something so adjustable. The Batty gauge makes changing the grinding angle to exactly the angle you want a short job along with the LV stand.

We often have people standing around watching us work. I don't mind anyone watching me grind something with this setup. I'd never drag out a water grinder while getting paid with people watching.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-22-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Tom

That is reassuring to hear. I have the same radiused wheel as yours coming. Should arrive this week.

Do you see much spark when grinding? It must be quite eerie with no vibration, no apparent movement of the wheel, and little to see from the wheels' action on the steel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek:

FWIW, I was just at a meeting of our WW Guild last evening and the presenter was Ed Pretty, a turner of exceptional skill here in the Pacific Northwest.

He brought his 80 / 180 grit CBN setup and, as a 7 day a week turner, uses it constantly and is as happy as can be with it. He has 3 - 4 chunks of magnet stuck to the body of the motor to catch some of the metal swarf that comes off the wheels and says they pick up a lot of material ( metal only ). The only thing that he mentioned as a negative, is due to the mass of the wheels, he gives the grinder a spin to help it start up easier; it complains a bit when he just hits the switch.

The CBN wheels got me interested, but not at this point.

Dave B

Blog Entries
    Wow thanks for that link Derek, the CBN wheels were discussed on another thread and I thought I read that they were not available for the Tormek. That just might solve quite a few issues for me. Although for the price of the Tormek wheel I could probably buy a grinder and smaller wheel. Is that the wheel you ordered Derek or did you order a wheel for your bench grinder? I gave my old Delta bench grinder away when I got my Tormek. Yes, I jumped the gun on that decision, but I wasn't fond of the Delta and would buy something a little better if I go the bench grinder route.

Metals are a frequent contributor to allergic reactions so I am particularly concerned about metal dust/particles both for my skin and lungs & respiratory system. My experience has been that once allergic reactions get cranked up a variety of normally safe substances can become very irritating.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-23-2014 at 8:33 AM.