Thread: New Woodworker in California

New Woodworker in California

I am relatively new to woodworking and have not done any finishing of projects yet. However, being in California, I am finding that almost all of the products listed in finishing posts are not available here in California. Are there any articles or references to finishing materials and techniques that are applicable to those of living in California?

Every time I read a finishing post or article and look up sources for the product, it almost always states, not available for shipping to California!

What are people using here to finish projects, primarily indoor furniture?

Any help or general guidance would be appreciated.

Hi John,

I am in California as well. I use General Finishes products. I use their oil base stains, and water base finishes. They are all available in Ca. Rockler is one of the places to purchase. Go to GF web page and check them out. I am no finishing expert by any means. However, I have had very good luck with GF products.

Sam

You can blame it on AQMD. (air quality management district). they are the one who regulates what finishes can be sold.

The only thing you can buy in California are water based finishes. I know few store that carry some quarts of oil based varnishes. but What they have on shelf is that's it. No more restocking,
    Austin hardware in Santa Ana has some.