Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning the lingerie chest II

Sean, there is a limit on the size of the lowest drawer. That 7 1/4" is as large as I can go with the wood I have. There is no way I will easily find wider boards, especially ones that match as the current two Jarrah boards I have do (they are, in fact, book matched boards). Consequently, any proportional change had an upper limit, and this created a lower limit as well - unless I wanted to add even more drawers. I like where it ended. It looks proportional to me, and the height is good (I stood Lynndy in front of the mock up, and she agreed - finally!)

Regards from Perth

Derek

I like the lower height... again. I would've gone with a wider top drawer but I understand your constraint.
    The bottom drawer constraint is obvious now too. I think it's good. In engineering I've found that it is all about constraints otherwise decisions would never be made.
    Gary

I found this to be somewhat handy, at least as a starting point...

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/drawsizer_hambridge.htm

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Blog Entries
    Derek,

Are you making trays for the top drawer?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Are you making trays for the top drawer?
    Hi Brian

Yes. The top drawer, possibly the top two drawers, will be laid out as a jewellery box would - dividers, dark blue felt or leather lining, perhaps some inlay (link to the mirror).

I'd like to add a secret compartment in this area. Still playing with the ideas and working out the drawer configurations before I cut any wood.

I did cut something yesterday, unfortunately it was the thumb on my left hand - the wet blade slipped out of my hand and landed on it when I was checking the edge. Yup, it was sharp .. I needed 6 stitches, and was informed that I must not do any woodwork for a few weeks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ow, sorry to hear that, Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    I found this to be somewhat handy, at least as a starting point...

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/drawsizer_hambridge.htm

Cheers, Don
    Don, many thanks. I shall try it out an compare with what I have. That will be interesting .. and important ... to do before I start any sawing.

Regards from perth

Derek

Ouch, I'm sure that hurts! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear. I have been silently watching the progress and look forward to your talent being once again highlighted in your work. I once slipped with a chisel and stabbed my wrist (yes, improper form was to blame- never cut towards a body part). My wife was working ICU that day, so the ER nurse called her and said, "we have your husband here," to which she replied, "what did he do now?"

Blog Entries
    Ouch! Rough way for the day to go. I know how you feel I had to take 6 weeks off over the summer for a hernia, it was so very dull. Feel better!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks guys. Hopefully my hand heals quickly. I feel such an idiot ... The swelling has gone and the pain is down, but the tetanus shot lingers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I did cut something yesterday, unfortunately it was the thumb on my left hand - the wet blade slipped out of my hand and landed on it when I was checking the edge. Yup, it was sharp .. I needed 6 stitches, and was informed that I must not do any woodwork for a few weeks.
    Put that lost woodworking time to use learning SketchUp! The biggest advantage is the ability to revise your drawings. My rudimentary drafting skills from junior high school and a basic set of drafting tools got me through just fine for a long time, but the revision thing was what finally pushed me over the edge. Then the ability to rotate models in 3D and view from all angles made it really worth it. It's free, and you can give people model files to view with the free viewer.

There are several good woodworking books on SketchUp available. I got a couple as electronic downloads from FWW. That's helpful to have one open on my laptop as a reference while I use it. I always find myself fighting it a bit as get back into the groove of how it works, then things smooth out.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks guys. Hopefully my hand heals quickly. I feel such an idiot ... The swelling has gone and the pain is down, but the tetanus shot lingers.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Let us hope you heal more quickly than the 6 week safe estimate. In addition to learning Sketchup (always a worthy goal) maybe bank some time with your wife so she doesn't feel like a widow when you start making sawdust. Can't have our heroes sitting on the sidelines ......

Derek, how is the thumb doing? You back in the woodshop yet?

Hi Mark

Thanks for the thought. The thumb is mending well - just looks like hell (I'll have to air brush it out of pictures for a while otherwise it will scare the kids).

I plan to get back to the lingerie chest in January. Too much work (reports) to complete before Christmas, and then I'll be visiting family in Sydney and Melbourne for a couple of weeks.

Regards from Perth

Derek