Thread: Does your wood go up before it comes down?

Does your wood go up before it comes down?

As I get situated in the developing workshop…

Wait, I have to say that I sure do like the "Workshops" section of this website, only I wish it were a bit more diverse and there were more on how different workshops function in use and all that. Ok, that was that.

…I slowly start to implement the strategy of wood storage and moving it all around. As of late I can especially say that I appreciate an opening that allows me to slide planks from the storage above right into the bench area through a sort of opening in the ceiling. It all came as something of a second thought somewhere along the way.foto 2-32.jpg That's the opening at the upper right-hand corner of the picture where there is a difference in ceiling heights. Well, first I have to get all that wood up there for drying and storage but by the time I get to using it, all that is forgotten and gravity is my friend all the way.

I wonder what other methods of hauling wood around the workshops people here are using, even to include getting it from outside to inside. I have always liked to have a storage up high, but before it cost me a trip outside to bring it in.

I added a storage room to my shop, tired of boards everywhere, and lack of room to work. I decided to stand my boards up along the wall, and having some long boards, which I didn't want to cut in half, I built a cathedral ceiling along the walls and used pipes to divide between the stacks of boards. So some of the boards are 12 to 13' long, and stand on edge along the wall, so I can pull one board out and look at it, rather than having to dig through a stack. My plywood sheets sit on a pallet rack flat. Got a rack that is about 9' long, 4' wide, and about 4 shelves.

Blog Entries
    I use the peaked roof at one end of the shop for tall vertical storage. Heavy or long (and therefor heavy) stock goes here:

Lumber Storage 2014 (1).jpg

The top 2 feet of one wall for horizontal (not the junk in the rafters . . . the stock on the racks):

Lumber Storage 2014 (2).jpg

My "cubby tower" for shorts and sheetgoods stand beside that:

Lumber Storage 2014 (3).jpg

Shorter shorts go in cubbies under the outfeed table:

Lumber Storage 2014 (7).jpg

And panel pieces go in this bin:

Lumber Storage 2014 (6).jpg

Temporary plywood "racks" go up and down to provide "overflow" but, these have been in position for almost a year . . . I got too used to the extra space ;-(

Lumber Storage 2014 (4).jpg Lumber Storage 2014 (5).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-21-2014 at 3:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I'm transferring wood from place to place it can go like this,

I built a log arch so I could use my pickup to pick up a log and transport it home. Thought it would be a lightweight piece, but by the time I got it done had to put a jack on the tongue.

I like that vertical storage in theory, minimizing cupping 'n all, getting at the wood for a quick look, that's great the way you've got it there Glenn. I'm not sure what you mean, Jim about storing long planks on edge. Is that horizontal?

My system looks very like Glenn Bradley's.

I have the same unfortunate attachment to short off cuts.
    At what point do you decide that it's firewood?

I just can't throw anything away, and it's become a storage problem...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I have the same unfortunate attachment to short off cuts.
    At what point do you decide that it's firewood?

I just can't throw anything away, and it's become a storage problem...
    This is a tough one. I have gotten better at keeping it under control simply because it is a storage problem just as you describe. I finally limited my storage space for scrap and vowed to go no further. If I have a piece I really think is too good to throw, I compare it to similar pieces that I already have and choose only one to keep. The other one goes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I won't even go back to old scraps I have stashed away, to painful after all these years but for the new, I have a chronic shortage of firewood and that helps the situation going forward.