Thread: Attn Domino DF500 Owners: Woodpeckers' Newest "One Time Tool" (Offset Base System)

Attn Domino DF500 Owners: Woodpeckers' Newest "One Time Tool" (Offset Base System)

Hello folks! I don't own a Domino yet but I will have one for Christmas (or sooner). My question is about Woodpeckers' Newest "One Time Tool," the Offset Base System and track for the Domino DF500. Since I don't own a Domino yet, I don't know enough about its operation to know just how useful this OTT or the other DF500 package of depth-stop shims will really add value. I can say that every danged OTT that I have bought from woodpeckers has been incredible and I have always regretted passing on OTT's that piqued my interest but that I couldn't justify given the costs. So, the question is, would this be useful add-on? Thanks, Rich

The offset base is unnecessary; the original fence works perfectly well.
    The track would be wonderful; I expect I would use it alot.
    But it is not necessary; you can do the same thing in less elegant ways. I would not pay $400 for it. $200 maybe.

I have no doubt this will be wonderful. However, for my own use, the very design of the Domino makes it perfect without after-market accessories for making mortises across the edge of a panel. The genius of this device is the lateral slop that you can dial in discretely with 1 of 3 settings. This eliminates the need for precision when making a series of mortises.

The shims that make precise vertical setting between 3/4" and common sizes also is a non-issue; the built-on stops on the existing base are fine for me - even if they aren't perfectly centered. I will say that despite your best efforts and dust collection (that's a huge must for this tool to work optimally) two abutting panels may not join 100% flat. I bet with the Woodpeck jig they would...

What is unclear to me is whether this jig can make cuts offset by more than the maximum vertical setting of the Domino. I often find myself in this position, and wish there was an after-market fence that let you register perfectly more than the (30mm?) the original fence allows. If it DOES, then it's looking pretty good.

There's a company that makes something called the Domiplate. They make other aftermarket items for the Domino that get good reviews.

Last, consider the larger version of the Domino. There exists now an aftermarket adapter that takes the DF500 cutters. So, you can use it for big and small things alike.

You'll be happy with your Domino. It's really genius.

Thank you for your informative responses! I love all of the One Time Tools and I would probably buy every single one of them if they were half the price ... after I paid for the sure-to-follow divorce and alimony payments, of course! :-) The reality is, my wife is a saint for putting up with me. So, to hijack my own thread, how about the Woodpeckers 12 pc Deluxe Set of Depth Sleeves "DF500-DSDELSET" for $89.99? Any thoughts on that one? Helpful or not necessary?

I love Woodpecker's stuff as even though it is pricey, it is very nicely engineered stuff. I've owned the Domino for several years and I tried one other "offset base" like attachment/thingy and ended up returning it. A pencil mark and a wider cut as alluded to by Prashun and you're good to go with the Domino...same with "not perfectly centered" in plywood or standard SAE sizes (1/2" or 3/4" hardwood). They are close enough. My dado cutter is gathering dust as I no longer need to plow dadoes or grooves in my cabinets...they are all done with dominoes now. My PC557 biscuit cutter is also gathering dust although it is still the go-to for mitered corner picture frames with the FF biscuit. The 4 mm domino might work fine, too.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Seifert View Post
    Thank you for your informative responses! I love all of the One Time Tools and I would probably buy every single one of them if they were half the price ... after I paid for the sure-to-follow divorce and alimony payments, of course! :-) The reality is, my wife is a saint for putting up with me. So, to hijack my own thread, how about the Woodpeckers 12 pc Deluxe Set of Depth Sleeves "DF500-DSDELSET" for $89.99? Any thoughts on that one? Helpful or not necessary?
    check this thread http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...depth-sleeves/ from Festool Owner Group, this is a cheap way (a few bucks) to achieve the same result.

My biggest complaint on my domino is that the 90 degree stop doesn't work well. I need to make sure each time and watch it to make sure it doesnt move. I bought the domiplate and use that most of the time because its full proof and I typically use 3/4 or 1/2 stock. The woodpecker system looks cool but its a lot of money. I'd have to use it 8 hours a day to justify that.

~mark

The woodpecker system looks cool and the concept is sound. However the Domiplate (http://www.senecawoodworking.com/pro...-2-and-3-4-ply) does a great job for 3/4" and 1/2" ply for $38.97. I have one of the first models - raw aluminum and no graphics. It's not pretty, but it works great.

While I agree that the standard Domino will work fine, it has to be set correctly. With the Domiplate, it only has two, fixed settings for centering in 1/2" and 3/4" ply. For me that's perfect - simple to use and accurate.

YMMV.

Dan.
    Last edited by Dan Clark; 10-21-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typo
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

I too love Woodpecker stuff, but I am really scratching my head with a lot of these one time tool deals. This particular one is basically a solution looking for a problem. The Domino works just fine as is and the couple (a lot cheaper) alternatives help make some of the usage easier. I also don't like the concept of too many accessories to begin with as it makes life not easier but harder as you need to store, bring them out and set them up each time, instead of just picking up the tool and doing what you need to do. Even if the price were $100, I would still not go for it as I have not faced the limitations of Domino that this tool is trying to solve for. I think the good folks at Woodpeckers need to find real problems to solve for as I have and love some of their stuff.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 10-22-2014 at 2:09 AM.

Agree completely with just about everything Prashun has written. Domino is a pretty darn good tool right out of the box. When building cabinets in particular I don't really strive for too much accuracy when it comes to Domino placement. I build with 3/4" ply and shoot for center-ish thickness wise and just eyeball them along a run. In fact, eyeballing them has a side benefit for me in particular because I am, in general, very unorganized and tend to have parts laying all over the place. Having the dominos not being placed exactly between like or easily confused parts means that the piece will only go together one way and that one way is if I have all the right parts joining together in exactly the right way. At least partial dry-fitting is your friend here.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields