Thread: lutheran rose

lutheran rose

Does anyone know if there is a copyright on the Lutheran Rose? I can't find any copyright information on it.
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

Blog Entries
    Kevin,

Is this what you were looking for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Luther-Rose-2.png
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Kevin,

Just go to the source for information on ELCA branding:

http://www.elca.org/Resources/ELCA-Branding

Lots of info, no scary warnings though! It is a christian organization and probably expects to be treated with respect.

Lots of files available, in jpg, tiff and eps formats. Maybe more, I only opened part of one zip file.
    Last edited by Bruce Hoffman; 10-21-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Copyright, registered trademarks and brand names are all treated differently in law. Having a quick look at their site I'd avoid it, some religious organisations can be very litigious to say the least.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I've seen a number of different Lutheran organizations use that rose over the years, so I doubt any of them have a copyright on it. And Martin Luther's not going to sue you since he's been gone about 500 years.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I thought it was an actor
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Kevin,
    martin Luther designed this as his personal seal. He describes it in a letter from 1530. While various groups use it, the rose itself is not under copyright.

Steve

To clarify Bruce's post, the Luther Rose or Luther Seal is not owned by any one specific Lutheran organization but used for almost 500 years by the Lutherans and other Christian churches as a religious symbol which I doubt are copyrighted. His reference/link is to a specific Lutheran Synod or organization that has it's own symbol/logo and they would control how it is used and displayed, just like any other org and business.
    Last edited by Mark Patoka; 10-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I have never encountered any problems when using religious logos or marks. Not to say it couldn't happen but I believe it to be highly unlikely there would be any legal consequences.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

thanks for all of the input and information. I will tread lightly going forward.
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

I think this would fall under "heraldry" just like almost all western religious symbols.