Thread: Where can I find Dollhouse plans?

Blog Entries

Question Where can I find Dollhouse plans?

A friend had asked me to build a dollhouse for their granddaughter , does anyone know where I might find some good dollhouse plans?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I built doll houses for our triplet grand daughters about 8 years ago from a plan in Wood Magazine, the house folded up when not in use and the base was a box it was stored in. The only problem with them was that the plan called for the hinges that allowed the house to fold to be glued on with epoxy and a couple of then came loose after being used for a while, I think I would use little bolts if I did it again. My daughter liked being able to fold them up and store it under the bed when not in use. I have no idea where the magazine is but you might try their web site and see if you can find it.

When I made one, I wasn't able to find any good plans. The kits were all too plain or cheap. So, I got creative and designed my own. Here are a few pics. (not great pics, but you get the idea).

All closed up. Two story. Cedar shingles. Copper valleys. The roof came off for access to the attic for all the wiring. The scale of the house is for Barbie. (1:6. However, Barbie, herself, is certainly, not "to scale". )

House_Closed.jpg

Open for playing. It was close to 7' wide when open. I actually made a special (full size) low table for it to sit on too, at "sit on the floor height", as well. No pictures of it. The porches would fold in, when open, but no pictures of that.

House_Open.jpg

Starting at the top right, the bedroom. Pine pencil post bed, with mattress and box spring and cedar chest. My wife's mother made the linens, curtains, pillows, etc.

Bedroom.jpg

Below the bedroom, the kitchen. When stove switches are flipped, the burners light up red (red LED under thin Corian countertop). The fridge got the most comments. Everyone wanted to know where I bought it. I made it. When you opened the door, the freezer section light (blue bulb) lit up. Copper plumbing under sink (pvc tubing, heated and bent, then painted with copper colored paint). Curly maple cabinets. You can just see the walnut front door.

Kitchen1.jpg

Moving around to the other side, the dining room with table and grandfather clock. I started making chairs for the table (I actually made two, but never completed them - shaker post and rung with black and white woven seats), but when I sat Barbie in the chair, this is when I realized she was not to scale and she would not sit in a properly scaled chair. Her legs are WAY too long. She's a freak.

DiningRoom.jpg

Above the dining room, the dressing room with make up desk and pine chest of drawers with graduated drawers. Pine floors throughout the house. "Planks" are 1/8" thick (so, in real life, 3/4" thick) and 3/4" wide (in real life, 4.5" wide), glued down. I simply ripped 1/8" slices from a 3/4" pine board. Finished with amber shellac.

DressingRoom.jpg

A close up of the front porch with a soda can for a sense of scale.

Porch1.jpg

And, a close up of my favorite piece - the birdseye pine chest of drawers.

DresserDrawer.jpg

I made it all front scratch, as I went. Took a couple months. Maybe this will inspire you to get creative.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 10-23-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typos

Todd...that is absolutely AMAZING!

However...neither my wife, nor my daughters, nor any of my 7 grand-daughters can EVER see this...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Beautiful job on that,Todd. Detailed,but not so fussy that a child can't be allowed to actually play with it. REAL ESTATE
    BARBIE will soon be trying to list it.

Blog Entries
    Todd
    That is an incredible doll house. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures
    Dennis

Thanks everyone. I have a few more pictures if you need any more detail.