Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full color printing on Rowmark- methods?

Full color printing on Rowmark- methods?

I have a couple of customers who keep insisting I figure out how to put their multi-colored logos on the plastic ID plates I make them. Some logos are fine in black & white, but they want color anyway. One logo I'm working with has a solid dark-to-light blue shaded shape, which to now I've just tool engraved an outline of and painted that blue. Another logo has 3 grays and a red, I'm not attempting to paint all that...

yada yada... anyway, I know there's ways to imprint these, like sublimation (no) and screen printing (no), but I'm not familiar with other methods or their names. A watch company customer of mine has some sort of small machine that they print logos on watch faces with. I don't know if it's a form of sublimation or not? The machine that does it fits on a desk top, it's not big, and it does everything itself. I'm not sure I like the results I've seen from it, like, the edges of lettering and graphics didn't seem all too sharp or crisp. But what I saw was just one of their practice pieces.

So, what am I looking for, that will place colored text and graphics on Rowmark and other materials? I need to either find a machine to do this, or find someplace that can do some for me...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You're not going to sublimate any Rowmark. Sublimation takes place around 400 degrees. Rowmark can't take 400 degrees. Color Laser Toner Transfer takes place around 320, again, Rowmark doesn't like that too much either. I guess you could get by with it in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to do repeat jobs that required consistent quality with it.

Next step with no heat would be direct printing on them with a UV flatbed printer. The little ones go for $40,000 or more. I have customers that own them and we make fixtures for them all the time. I've seen incredible stuff come off them, but they are painfully slow. I would expect the cost to be quite high for one sheet of 12" x 24".

You might try a larger sign company that has a 4' x 8' or 5' x 10' flatbed printer. You might get some economy in cost by doing that. Still not going to be cheap, but it's the only method I can think of that would work well on Rowmark.

Maybe someone else has a better idea. Of course we could print it on PVC free vinyls, laminate it, and apply it, then you could line up the registration marks and cut away, but in the end, it's nothing more than a decal on a id plate, which probably isn't going to make the customer happy.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Direct printing or a "sticker" is the most realistic approach. You can also cut the tags out of FRP and sublimate the whole plate.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    Kev,

Have you posted your question in the Sign Design and Fabrication forum of SMC? I have never really poked my head in there, but wondered if they might have some thoughts. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it is made up of mostly this group. Worth a try though?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Direct printing with a UV printer would be ideal for this. I disagree with Steve/Scott about the price and speed - my printer can do a 10" x 24" sheet of 25 logos in just a couple of minutes and the price would be pretty reasonable if you provided proper artwork and the materials all ready to go - maybe $3.00-$5.00 each if you do a sheet at a time.

Wow, that's cheap Gary. I think my customers print at very high resolutions, so that might be the difference. I believe they are actually printing at 1200 dpi, so it's not uncommon to take 45 minutes to print one tray of pieces.

$3.00-5.00 per sheet? That's very attractive pricing.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Here's a 'my version' sample of what I'm talking about, just 3 x 5"-ish ID plates, logos are simple, would look fine all black but they would rather they be in color. Not high quantities either, these customers only build a few machines a month...

UV printing is one method I was thinking of but couldn't remember, thanks! I'm going to have to call my watch guys, I think that's what they have. Pretty sure they wouldn't spend 40 large for it...

And I think Gary means $3 to $5 per LOGO per sheet, yes?

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Wow, that's cheap Gary. I think my customers print at very high resolutions, so that might be the difference. I believe they are actually printing at 1200 dpi, so it's not uncommon to take 45 minutes to print one tray of pieces.
    I can print from 720 up to 1440 and that would probably double the time to go up to 1440, but nowhere near 45 minutes. I have a regular job that prints the entire 10x24 sheet and it only takes 13:45 at a medium resolution. Maybe they just have a slow printer...

$3.00-5.00 per sheet? That's very attractive pricing.
    Good try Steve, but that's per logo. I have one job that I run at high resolution with fairly large logos on 25 pieces and they pay over $5 each - and are very happy to pay it when they compared the price for screen printing and the setup/minimums that go with it.

That would be a no-brainer for the UV printer Kev. If you printed them on white rowmark they would be very fast and a lot less than you might think! If you wanted to just print the logo it would be very worthwhile having a few sheets printed and ready for you to laser the rest. If it's not white then the price and print time would go up slightly as I would have to print a layer of white ink under the colors to make sure they are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Here's a 'my version' sample of what I'm talking about, just 3 x 5"-ish ID plates, logos are simple, would look fine all black but they would rather they be in color. Not high quantities either, these customers only build a few machines a month...

UV printing is one method I was thinking of but couldn't remember, thanks! I'm going to have to call my watch guys, I think that's what they have. Pretty sure they wouldn't spend 40 large for it...

And I think Gary means $3 to $5 per LOGO per sheet, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I can print from 720 up to 1440 and that would probably double the time to go up to 1440, but nowhere near 45 minutes. I have a regular job that prints the entire 10x24 sheet and it only takes 13:45 at a medium resolution. Maybe they just have a slow printer...

Good try Steve, but that's per logo. I have one job that I run at high resolution with fairly large logos on 25 pieces and they pay over $5 each - and are very happy to pay it when they compared the price for screen printing and the setup/minimums that go with it.
    I think their printers are slow. I made fixtures for them a while back for printing 1/2 a million pieces. It took them a LONG time to print them all That's with 2 of them. I think they are Mimaki's.

Sorry for the pricing confusion! $3 each piece sounds better

What color plastic are you using? White? If you are, white FRP sublimated seems like the best option...
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

What I did years ago was print on a thin sheet of white vinyl (adhesive on one side) and then laminate it with a sheet of clear vinyl that had adhesive on one side. Then cut to size and stick on our product.
    Last edited by Larry Robinson; 10-22-2014 at 3:56 PM.
    GWeike LC6090 130 Watt 24" x 36" Table
    Shopbot 96 x 48
    Kossel Clear 3D Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I have a couple of customers who keep insisting I figure out how to put their multi-colored logos on the plastic ID plates I make them. Some logos are fine in black & white, but they want color anyway. One logo I'm working with has a solid dark-to-light blue shaded shape, which to now I've just tool engraved an outline of and painted that blue. Another logo has 3 grays and a red, I'm not attempting to paint all that...

yada yada... anyway, I know there's ways to imprint these, like sublimation (no) and screen printing (no), but I'm not familiar with other methods or their names. A watch company customer of mine has some sort of small machine that they print logos on watch faces with. I don't know if it's a form of sublimation or not? The machine that does it fits on a desk top, it's not big, and it does everything itself. I'm not sure I like the results I've seen from it, like, the edges of lettering and graphics didn't seem all too sharp or crisp. But what I saw was just one of their practice pieces.

So, what am I looking for, that will place colored text and graphics on Rowmark and other materials? I need to either find a machine to do this, or find someplace that can do some for me...
    Silk screen might work...
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

You could try Pad Printing, same method used on golf balls etc, i'm not sure on setup prices etc but i hear it is economical.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

The company I do a lot for has a large format printer that takes solid as well as roll. they can print a 4x8 sheet of sintra at 1200 dpi in about 10 minutes it will take 12 ft wide substrate. but they can also print 8x10 inch stuff with it also