Thread: Bloxygen is really great stuff and saves me money.....

Bloxygen is really great stuff and saves me money.....

I have read about Bloxgen here on the forum and I just had to try it. http://www.bloxygen.com/

In September of last year (2013) I bought a can of Arm R Seal, Gloss and a can of Arm R Seal, Satin. As I use the finish I put Bloxgen in the Gloss as I used it and did not put any in the Satin.

Now a year later I have 1/2 a can of good Gloss and a half a can of hardened Satin.

So at $17 a can for the Arm R Seal, I just put $8.50 in the trash and I am still going with the can of Bloxygen.
    If I had not spent the $12 for the Bloxygen I would have had to put $17 in the trash, so I am $5 up just on this little test.

I will be using it for all my cans of finish.

Its what I use for Waterlox.

I use argon from my TIG welding set up as it's paid for and on hand. I agree that it is worth isolating many finishes from air.

Thanks for the tip, Bill.

That's pretty interesting,does it preserve wood glue?

Lee Valley sells a similar product called Finish Preserve for - I think - about $12.00 per can - I have four cans arriving tomorrow via UPS. It works great - have used it for years.

Bloxygen is Argon gas in a spray can. Its funny how they patented it. LOL

I have used the canned air that is sold to dust off computers and such. I use it in my Waterlox cans and have never had a problem.

Try using wine preservative - same stuff, only cheaper.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I use argon from my TIG welding set up as it's paid for and on hand. I agree that it is worth isolating many finishes from air.
    Thanks for the tip. I have a MIG setup, I think the gas is Argon & CO2. Gonna try that.

Auto painters have used Bloxygen for years - those catalyst hardeners are hella expensive to have go bad on you.

I used the Blox for a while - works fine.

But since then, I changed direction. Got a bunch of mason jars - pint, cup, half-cup. All wide-mouth.

Use varnish out of the purchased can, then decant it into the mason jars:
    > fill to about 1/8" from the rim
    > gently "float" the appropriate thinner on top of the varnish, with a meniscus so it slightly over-full
    > Gently drop the lid [not the ring, just the lid] on top - the little bit of extra thinner flows out and down the jar
    > drop the ring in place, and tighten.

No air left.

I actually do this with three different mixes of the varnish:
    > cask-strength
    > brush-on, which is about 15% thinned
    > wipe-on, which is about 50% thinned.

I am always using the brush-on and the wipe-on, so those are residuals as well, plus if I have an odd amount of cask or brush, I can always thin them down one notch, and get the right amount for a container.

Masking tape on the lid, with strength and date.

Stuff seems to last forever - 18 months, for sure - haven't gotten past that yet.

Very little waste. Plus - I always have some in the appropriate strength ready to go, without mixing more. I will generally try to keep multiples of the smaller sizes [2 half cups, rather than 1 cup] so I don't have to open a size that is larger than I need.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 10-23-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Interesting, Kent. So you are, in effect, just slightly thinning your mixture each time floating a bit of thinner on the top, right?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Interesting, Kent. So you are, in effect, just slightly thinning your mixture each time floating a bit of thinner on the top, right?
    Yep - you got it. A very tiny %, which makes no difference in the performance of the varnish. But - There is zero air left in the mason jar when I cap it - good as new, in terms of shelf life. The thinner - and the meniscus - give me an air-tight fill, with just a bit of thinner dribbling down the outside of the jar.

For example - the brush-on version @ 15%: That is a guess. To make it, I add a little bit of thinner at a time, mix it in, watch it flow off the brush, try it on the surface, add more as needed. I honestly don't know the exact %, because I never measured it, because it doesn't matter.... within a +/- range - if if flows properly on the workpiece, then it is the correct %, right?. So the thinner added when I "can it" is not ever going to be noticeable - I could have easily added that extra tiny bit when mixing up the brush-on batch, and never noticed it.

Same with cask strength - the thinner added makes no impact on the end use.

When I am done, I might, for example, use the remnants of 1 pint brush-on strength to can 1/2 cup of brush-on and reduce the remnants for 1/2 cup of wipe-on. Nuttin' goes out of shelf-life, and virtually nuttin' gets left out to harden/dispose. And I don't buy the Blox - good product, no complaints, but pricey and not necessary, IMO. YMMV.

If, for example, I end up with more wipe-on than I need, the arithmetic is simple to take those into a larger jar, and add cask-strength to get me into the brush-on category, and move the remaining cask-strength to a smaller jar[s].

I get into a minor amount of jar management, but they clean right up with thinner if I don't need them.

If I need to store varnish, it simply does not matter what reduction was in there before versus what reduction I am storing - the varnish is not that sensitive.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I just use propane ... heavier than air so it creates a "layer" of protection on top of the finish ... cheap & readily available ... works just fine.