Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Beech Plane Ideas?

Vintage double irons from the UK, and some from the US. Anywhere I can get a clean set that still has a good shape cap iron and iron with little use. I don't much care for modern looking irons in a beech bench plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    I work (ok, play) in a couple of different styles and would like a couple widths of each. My eye notices when an armoire's panel has the exact same field as a small box's panel. The strangest details can divert my attention.
    I knew exactly what you mean right when you said it. It'd be nice to have three different sizes for different sized work.

I have made up a joiner or two I use primarily to shoot the edges of my veneer and these joiners have excessively narrow blades, oh, something like 32 mm and, could it be 25 mm on the other. I like so much how they work. Feedback maybe we could put it that way, such good feedback.

What is the style of those planes, are they open mortise, or laminated, or closed mortise like a vintage plane, and with a wedge and abutments?

They are laminated David. All very modern you know.

I'm a backwards individual, so I have no idea how to make a laminated plane! Well, I guess infills are laminated, I've laminated a couple of those.

But I have such narrow plane blades, old laminated the way you like so much, in these traditional plane bodies. They are compatible.

Yes, I like the old irons. I like all of the irons out there, actually, I just don't like flat irons in wedge planes or irons that look like they were cut on a CNC in a single-piece mortised plane.

Of course, even on a laminated plane, the old irons looked better, and they are my personal preference when the task gets away from taking the most feet of .001" shavings before resharpening and to actual working of wood from rough.

The Ulmia scrub plane, it has one ugly blade in it, quite narrow, wedged, but then with a little cross pin set-up, so no abutments, maybe you know it. I like this plane. You don't like the CNC blades because they are ugly or is something to do with performance?

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    You don't like the CNC blades because they are ugly or is something to do with performance?
    Just the looks. The newly made irons that are out there from all of the makers now are very good quality. Even the $12 HSS irons that come from mujingfang are very good. We are not going to see irons that look like vintage irons again, though.

Even when the UK makers stopped making laminated irons, they still kept the aesthetic and the taper in their irons - I just like they way they looked.

I like the ulmia planes just fine as long as you don't have to faff with getting the iron in and out of the primus adjustment setup. What a pain!

No, stick with the basic planes with hammer adjustment, that's just fine.

I am playing with the idea of getting a stubby thick iron blade made up, the modern look I like so much, by the smid, one that's laminated with some good Swedish steel. It's going to cost a few cents.

High carbon Swedish is nice.

Maintainence days. I figured these two could use a little workout
    IMAG0209.jpg
    Ohio Tool Co. #81 Try plane. 22" long. That knob does help, too.
    IMAG0210.jpg
    This one is a double ironed, 18" long jack/try based on GE Hong's videos. I tried the single iron like he used, like a chipbreaker added to it better. Makes nice curlie things. Again, just me, knob helps me push it along. For others, knob is optional...

Might have an iron plane about done, too
    IMAG0207.jpg
    Millers Falls #14.

So far, I have not heard back from Horizon. I sent an email to them mid last week, or maybe before, which I thought might be an easier way to describe what I wanted. That didn't get a response.

And I called them today and got a really nice girl who was very pleasant, and she said she'd get a salesperson to call me back, but she thought that something like 16/4 beech would have been something that was special order. I didn't, however, get a call back from a salesperson. Stating that I was only looking for 50 bd feet probably doesn't help get any attention. I'll keep trying though. They're only 2 1/2 hours from here, but I'd rather not make the drive to get there and find they don't have anything.

Bummer so far! I may have to harrass and annoy mike digity to see if he'll come out of partial retirement to make me some.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    So far, I have not heard back from Horizon. I sent an email to them mid last week, or maybe before, which I thought might be an easier way to describe what I wanted. That didn't get a response.

And I called them today and got a really nice girl who was very pleasant, and she said she'd get a salesperson to call me back, but she thought that something like 16/4 beech would have been something that was special order. I didn't, however, get a call back from a salesperson. Stating that I was only looking for 50 bd feet probably doesn't help get any attention. I'll keep trying though. They're only 2 1/2 hours from here, but I'd rather not make the drive to get there and find they don't have anything.

Bummer so far! I may have to harrass and annoy mike digity to see if he'll come out of partial retirement to make me some.
    Funny you say that David, I sent them an email about two weeks ago asking them for the same exact thing 16/4 beech. I even said in the email I would settle for maple only because im more interested in getting a working plane than trying to keep with traditional materials. The Beech would def be a lot nicer to make a plane with though. I have struck out everywhere I have looked and asked for this material. It is ridiculous that it is so difficult to find this material.