Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Beech Plane Ideas?

More Beech Plane Ideas?

I've got some beech left, enough to make two more planes. I think I'll probably make another jointer with the one stick because I don't have the heart to cut it down.

With the other, I'm either going to save it to make a few dais, or make another jack sized plane. I don't want to make pointless planes, though (planes that don't get used much), and I don't want to use it to make planes I can make out of 8/4 - I have a ton of that.

I'm thinking that a jack sized panel raising plane built on the skew (one of the few large planes I'd build with a single iron) might be a good use for it. It's something I'd actually use, as the only furniture I ever really build is casework and doors.

Any other ides?

I could just make another jack and keep one rank set and the other much more mildly set. It might be more practical to make a jack with a short open offset handle (it would still have a double iron of course) and an iron narrower than the 2 1/2" iron that's in the jack I just finished.

Jack, raised panel plane, what else?

Panel raiser was the first thing I thought about too. How about a specific endgrain plane a strikeblock with low bedding and single iron? Who knows when it comes in handy.

That's not a bad idea. I'd probably build a plane like that out of a heavier wood, though I have some purpleheart, which is a particularly ugly wood, but it would be good for that.

I just emailed horizon to find out if they have more. We'll see if they do.

I don't want to sell my three favorite wooden planes, so I don't really need to make another jack. I have a badger plane that could be easily fenced to cut raised panels, but I'll probably make one, anyway. The only itch I'm thinking about with another jack is the offset handle. The mathiesen type that I copied is not uncomfortable, so much it's different - like pushing a shovel from the end of the handle - because the handle is way on the back.

We'll see. I'll do a panel raiser and leave the big stick for now. I've got enough large irons (over 2") to make four or six more planes.

I also vote for the panel raiser. The other options are covered in my toolset, but I do need to build a small assortment of panel raisers.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I'd consider making a moving fillister or plow.

That's a possibility, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    I also vote for the panel raiser. The other options are covered in my toolset, but I do need to build a small assortment of panel raisers.
    Assortment!!

Maybe one of GE HONG's Plough/rebate planes?
    rebate plane 1.jpg
    I added a front knob to mine, though. He also made one with the metal skate. Maybe one could build a Moving Fillister style of plane??

One of hong's planes is a decent idea, too. Especially one with a double iron.

I'm thinking for this stuff, a closed mortise plane (like hong's bench planes) since I could probably squeeze most moving fillister type planes out of 8/4 beech.

Badger Plane? Jack plane sized, double iron, useful for wide rebates.

Graham, that's on the radar, too, since I have a decent quality badger plane on hand to copy.

Most badger planes I see have been beaten to death and have a lot of erosion near the mouth, and an old 18th century panel raiser that I had at one point was like that and it made it a bear to use. It was also gigantic, I think probably intended for architectural work.

I saw something earlier today, a brass strip across the right side of a badger plane that protects the corners, that I thought was a fantastic idea. I've seen them boxed also, but boxing always presents maintenance issues in the long term.

$_12.jpg

I'm lucky, UK ebay always seems pretty good on wooden planes. I bought a badger a while back and it was near perfect for about £10.00. I must confess I've not used the thing yet so perhaps it falls at the "pointless" hurdle. Nice idea with the brass! Next thing they'll be making whole planes outta metal

You can do OK with wood planes here, too, but you have to shop longer than you do in the UK. I think my badger plane was about $20, and I got it just because it's in good shape. I'll admit that I haven't used it, either, other than test cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Assortment!!
    I work (ok, play) in a couple of different styles and would like a couple widths of each. My eye notices when an armoire's panel has the exact same field as a small box's panel. The strangest details can divert my attention.
    AKA - "The human termite"

What are the blades you are using for your planes David?