Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gloves ???

gloves ???

a lot of very respectable turners wear gloves. What's the advantage. Folks like me who have aching bones might need to listen but loose things about a lathe in my past study is not appreciated. Harry

I wear gloves when turning a bowl or vessel out of dry wood. The gouge and the chips can get very hot. Any gloves worn when turning must be snug fitting for safety reasons. Mine are baseball batters gloves. I have used golf gloves. Loose fitting gloves are a no-no for obvious safety reasons.

Just like Wally said - I only wear a glove when working on dry wood

I use an old leather work glove with the fingers cut off - I really only need to protect the back of my hand from dry, hot shavings.

I used to have a bowl turner's callus on my left pinky finger, but no more. While most of the time I turn green wood, it seemed that no matter how I held the gouge, the shavings would go right across the top of my pinky finger. Well, since I switched to using scrapers for my roughing, that doesn't happen any more, the shavings are directed in a different arc over my hand rather than across the top of it. That leaves only finish cut shavings which are minimal.

robo hippy

What Wally said.... I use "Sport Utility Gloves" (Amazon), which are fingerless. The SUG had pull tabs on the cutoff fingers to help get the gloves off, which I really appreciate.

can you provide a link to exact product Kyle?

I get a bunch of results on Amazon by searching "sport utility gloves"

I like Valeo Ocelot lifting gloves. Padded palms absorb tool vibration. Check them out at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER. - John

I wear buckskin gloves for the very reasons you listed - aching bones and to keep my hands off cold metal. Like anything in turning, make sure your support hand is ALWAYS on the correct side of the tool rest and you will be fine!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have a pair of bicyclers gloves. Skin tight and no fingers past the first joint. In South Florida I don't have to worry about cold tools much, but hot shavings when working on dry wood used for boxes or goblets can be very uncomfortable.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    can you provide a link to exact product Kyle?

I get a bunch of results on Amazon by searching "sport utility gloves"
    Sorry. Didn't know that many would turn up. Yikes. Don't remember that many turning up. Maybe because I knew the brand. Wells LaMont 836 is the model I use. Got different amounts and colors. I like them. Not too expensive.

I always wear gloves in the shop to protect my hands

For turning, I like Mechanics Gloves. Easily available at Home Depot or a dozen other places. usually I'll cut the first two fingers off for more dexterity.
    Latex covered fabric gloves like here http://www.prosol.co.uk/everyday_nee...oves_p2466.php are great, but sometimes too grippy.

If the shaving fly off fast, then it really helps. On one very large dry bowl I had elbow high welding gloves (and very little finger tip control)
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 10-22-2014 at 9:13 PM.

If you're using gloves in the sweaty heat of summer, don't leave them on the lathe bed when you go in for the night or you'll return to a big rusty mess. Ask me how I know...

I will add that I will often use latex or nitril gloves when turning some wet/green wood that has a lot of sap that stains my hands. Lemon juice works pretty well to remove stains, but avoiding the sap works easier.

I use a golf glove...snug, comfortable, and inexpensive.

I use a set of weightlifting gloves - fingertips removed, slightly padded palms, and velcro elastic straps at the wrist. Shavings when turning dry wood do get exceedingly hot.

Ken