Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Heat damage to blades when grinding...

Thanks Ian,

That was well put. I agree that when it comes to sharpening many of us go way beyond what most may consider reasonable. Even David, who now uses one stone, has probably tried more stones than any of us will see in out lifetimes. If I was trying to make a living as a woodworker, my viewpoint may be different. But, as a hobbiest, part of the fun is trying out different ways of doing things, even though much of it may not be the financially astute thing to do.

Steve

Blog Entries
    I don't find the information in this thread to be overboard in terms of cost or time spent. Like Ian says the price of CBN wheels is going down and if one compares the cost on a CBN wheel or two to stone wheels I don't think the costs are far appart. If one factors in that one CBN wheel will probably outlast several friable wheels without a change in wheel size going on all the time. The cost of CBN wheels and even "the best" tool rests is small potatoes compared to what many have spent on water stones, particularly the very fine ones. A Tormek or Veritas MKII grinder is more. A good grinder is more. Baldors can cost several times more. A Worksharp with the extras and papers for a year is comparable or more.....Take all the funds a guy like David may have spent exploring a host of sharpening options and it is still a drop in the bucket compared to what many power tool guys spend for machines. The much higher safety factor with CBN wheels vs friable stone wheels is invaluable to me.

The key issue in my book is time. A hand tool woodworker with 4-6 planes 6-10 chisels, hand saws....has quite a few cutting surfaces to maintain. Many of us have far more edged tools. Enjoyment and success with hand tools seems to me to revolve around ones ability to maintain sharp cutting surfaces. We don't just buy new blades for power tools, replace the old ones and power back up. Sharpening is the constant in using hand tools that we can not escape. How to speed up the process of sharpening is eminently relevant to using hand tools. I don't know what could be more relevant. Someone may say just working wood is more important. It may be, but no one gets squat done with dull tools. CBN wheels and good tool rests are relevant because they may be the quickest way to accurate repeatable sharpening of hand tools.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-19-2014 at 10:17 PM.

I have a cbn wheel for sharpening my turning tools. It runs much truer than the friables and cuts quicker and cooler with a finer edge. It is a wonderful item and worth it to me. The fact that it runs true is a huge win for me. It also sdoes a better job of not overheating the tool tip. You will notice that it does not generate sparks as it grinds. I use it for hss tools.

Instead of boring the wheel, you might prefer to get a bushing for the arbor. Thats what most on the turners forum have done. The bushing for 6 and 8 inch grinders is different so beware. Dway tools and mcmaster carr can help you.

you want a good bushing because you dont want to compromise the balance.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-19-2014 at 11:02 PM.

HI Prashun. I'm using the WTW wheels because they have a side face suitable for flat grinding. The boring is necessary in my specific case because my UK spec grinder's 18mm dia shaft is larger than the 5/8in bore they come with - which fits most (?) US model grinders....
    Last edited by ian maybury; 11-20-2014 at 3:38 PM.