Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which plane to buy? Tuning tenons

Blog Entries
    I think your price on the LV router plane is much too high. You may want to check it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Thanks for advice David. I'd love to see a video on using the plane bed float, as I can't find anything online about using them.

Maybe i'll keep an eye it for a Stanley router plane, as it does intrigue me. I had originally thought about buying new only, and that plunking down $250 for the Veritas was too much. Any suggestions on buying a used router plane? Go with a Stanley from ebay?

What plane bed float do you recommend?

I'm still considering the rabbet plane and skew plane.
    I like LN's thin plane bed float (I think they have one that's rigid and one that's thinner).

For router plane, any stanley (like a 71) or other make that's equivalent.

I'd buy on price.

I'm sure the planes that LN and LV make are a little better, but I don't ever use a router plane for anything other than cleaning out dados.

Yeah It's only $149 new at lee valley.

I found a router plane more useful then shoulder planes.....

I always wondered about the LV Japanese Milled Files as use as a float. I think it would work about the same as a lie neilsen float for 1/3 cost. Might be worth a look. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,42524&p=63451

ok, I'll throw a monkey wrench into this.....I prefer a shoulder plane. As others, I have floats, router plane, chisels, etc. One other thing to consider, ease of sharpening since you do not use hand tools often. The blade on a shoulder plane is easy to sharpen. Depending on the size of tenons most used, will determine what size shoulder plane. If you go with a float, you want the LN bed float. It is the widest(hardest to make on your own) and the teeth run from edge to edge. Around 70 bucks.

Richard

Shoulder plane here as well. I often use it to finish up work on a tenon after paring with a chisel.
    Paul

I use a shoulder plane and a router plane. The router plane will make it easier to do multiple tenons, and keep them the same. You will get more use out router plane than you think. I also use it to clean up rabbets and dados.

Blog Entries
    Shoulder plane 100%. I use it for both cheeks and shoulders.

For cheeks, no depth adjustment like a router plane and I have no trouble keeping the cheeks parallel to the stock face. More important, great for shoulders. Yes , I start w/ chisel in the knife line, but if you're fitting 4 shoulder tendon and need to trim a 32nd." off the back shoulder for tight fit on the show shoulder, much easier for me to do with shoulder plane than a chisel. Same for breadboard ends -much faster and more accurate for me than a chisel. YMMV

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    I see no consensus here. I guess you pay your money and take your choice.

Sounds like I need a shoulder plane, router plane, and a float! Back to where I started it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sounds like I need a shoulder plane, router plane, and a float! Back to where I started it seems.
    Not really. There are many ways to accomplish a task. Figure out how you would cut your tenons, and work towards that. I started with a shoulder plane. After a while I wanted to have more consistency in my work. I bought a router plane. My tenons started fitting better and were repeatable, when I had a bunch to do. I don't have a float, some day I may see the need for one. You can cut a tenon with just a saw, it will be rough. You can use a rabbet plane, if you like. Use what you have and refine from there.

I use a shoulder plane with occasional help from a sharp chisel. I have a Stanley No. 92 from the modern Sweetheart line, not a vintage 92. I bought it before I learned to look for vintage tools for better quality and value, but I've been very, very happy with this one. Maybe I'm just too dumb to know better.
    Michael Ray Smith

Blog Entries
    IMO, it depends a lot on what size tenons your cutting. I always, somehow end up working on massive tenons on my projects and they benefit greatly from having a router plane and should plane handy. I use the router plane for faces and should plane for shoulders.

However, you can do all of this with a sharp chisel that has a flat back. It's just a bit more difficult.

I choose based on the project, if I'm cutting massive through tenons then I'm using the router plane to make sure they are true. If I'm cutting tiny tenons for a cabinet door frame, then no, I'm not going to bother with using anything more than a chisel.

I use floats more often for mortises than tenons, for through tenons they are an awesome tool.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have the pair of LN joinery floats - cheek float and face float. These two made as dramatic improvement in fitting tenons as anything short of my TS tenon jig. Remarkable - that's all I can tell you. Easy to use, and very quick. Cheek float most commonly used inside the mortise.

And - a shoulder plane. I have the large LN - wish I had the medium instead, because easier to grab, and I've never needed the blade width of the large. I watched a video or read a photo story from Derek C, and that made the light go off on how to use it - I had been holding that darn thing all wrong. Duh !! Works like a charm.

Have the usual suspects in block planes including rabbet and skew, and a large router plane. All good for their purpose, but I don't think I have used them for tenons since I got the floats and learned my way around the shoulder plane.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.