Thread: Bandsaw re saw heights

Bandsaw re saw heights

I have a Jet 14 with a riser block and I get approx 12 1/2 max re saw on it. I was thinking of upgrading to get an increase in re saw but I didn't realize, even with a Jet 18 inch, it doesn't give me a bigger re saw. Why is this. I realize the 18 represents the horizontal distance of cut but why isn't the re saw bigger.

You can get a 18" bandsaw with 18" resaw (e.g. Laguna) or 20" with 20" resaw (big names like Minimax, Laguna, etc).
    Larger resaw capacity typically needs wider blades and hence stiffer spine on the saw to tension them properly.

Simply function of Jet's design. Take a look at the Laguna 18" 3000 Series which has a 15 1/4" resaw capacity or the 14" SUV which has 14" resaw capacity.

The frame must not only be very stiff but must resist twist as the resaw height increases. If you plan on doing any amount of resawing over 12" and you don't want to make yourself crazy, you need a stout saw and the cost goes way up. Dave

12" of resaw capacity on a 14" saw, if actually used, would likely be "pushing things" structurally for so many of the 14" saws on the market. To me, the biggest benefit of that extra space is visibility, not cutting capacity. If there is an actual need for 12" of greater cutting height capacity, the best results are going to be on a much larger, heavier, more powerful and stiffer machine as has already been noted. The machine gets a LOT of stress when working that kind of cut!

My 2004 era MiniMax MM16 only has 12" of re-saw height...and I've never felt the need for more with how I use the saw. I can think of only a few times that I've cut thicker material (straight line) than about 6". Other exceptions were turning material where I didn't really care about the quality of the cut and was just roughing out a blank to save time (and mess) on the lathe.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-24-2014 at 9:20 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We have an Agazzani 60 band saw that only has about 14" of re-saw capacity. We recently needed to re-saw some quilted maple and Indian rosewood for some semi hollow guitar bodies and a couple of 18" arch tops. I just removed the upper guide bearings and it cut like a hot knife thru butter!
    IMG_20140911_154236.jpgIMG_6459.jpgIMG_20140911_154246.jpgIMG_6455.jpg