Thread: Walnut Wall Finished

Walnut Wall Finished

I got some advice a few days ago from you fine folks on how to put some walnut up on the wall. I finished it (a few days later than planned) and thought I'd share some pictures.

Before:

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

After:

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

And after it was up, we decided some side lighting would be nice so I added some dimmable LED light strips:

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

We're pretty happy with how everything turned out.

Beautiful transformation. I especially like it with the lights. Great job

Looks great Barry!

Thanks guys! We're still deciding whether or not we want to put a finish on the wall. I'm leaning toward yes but not sure yet.

The wall looks great, how did you end up attaching the walnut?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    The wall looks great, how did you end up attaching the walnut?
    Thanks! Just used some Loctite Power Grab (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-9...9157/203011334). Held each piece up there for 10 seconds and then moved on to the next one. For good measure I screwed the bottom row to studs (since the screws would be hidden by the base board). Everything feels really solid, I have no worries about any falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    . . . Just used some Loctite Power Grab.
    Looks great. I've had good luck with that product for holding some trim pieces. It's held solidly for a year and a half so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    Thanks! Just used some Loctite Power Grab (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-9...9157/203011334). Held each piece up there for 10 seconds and then moved on to the next one. For good measure I screwed the bottom row to studs (since the screws would be hidden by the base board). Everything feels really solid, I have no worries about any falling off.
    Those boards aren't coming off until you decide it's time. And if you do decide to remove in the future you should be able to pry them off - the DW paper will act as a decoupling membrane and pull away from the gypsum. Looks nice; my choice would be to finish the wood.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Yep, Looks cool! Go for the finish.... my preference is low sheen. Matte, that is!

Looks awesome with the lighting, very modern. Nice work!

We're still deciding whether or not we want to put a finish on the wall. I'm leaning toward yes but not sure yet
    If you don't put some kind of finish on - - Ican almost guarantee that the first thing to go through your mind the first time you have to clean dust off is going to be, "I should have put a finish on". .
    All that pretty dark wood is going to be a dust magnet.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I love it, very creative. Walnut is one of my favorite woods, actually.