Thread: delta 50-901 dust collector is it enough?

delta 50-901 dust collector is it enough?

I have found this delta cyclone collector for sale. It is 3 h.p. 1780cfm max static pressure 9"@200cfm. I have recently completed my new shop. I am looking for dust collection advice. I have a Unisaw, 8" jointer, 13" planer,18" bandsaw, shaper,edge sander,14" bandsaw,and lathe. My shop is 40"x70" with basically half the space for woodwoking (40x35). So I am wondering if this collector can run two machines at once with probally about 40" of main duct and branches that would have blast gates. Does anyone own one of these? What about sources for duct pipe? I already have a smaller colletor that I could use for just my planer if I had to. Please feel free to weigh in with any advice. My shop is more commercial than hobby. Thanks in advance for any help. Is one thousand too much to pay for this unit in good shape? .

Well I take it that this collector must not be very common at all. Does anyone have any basic advice for me about where to start figuring out dust collection duct sizes and cyclone size? I will most likely only ever run perhaps two machines at once.

Maybe they didn't understand how you could have 40" of main duct.

But just in general, I have a 3hp cyclone and if I neglect to close a gate while using another there is plenty of suction.
    I used heavy steel ducting from a HVAC supply house. Other people use PVC drain pipe.

Penn State Industries has relatively inexpensive ducting. Grizzly sells some of the more expensive snap lock. If you keep your runs straight that cyclone may be enough but you should spec it out and calculate the CFM for your longest run and the tools you have. Lots of info on this forum if you search.

My local Ace hardware sells 26 gauge snaplock pipe and fittings for the best prices around. Not familiar with the Delta 3hp cyclone, what size is the impeller?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    My local Ace hardware sells 26 gauge snaplock pipe and fittings for the best prices around. Not familiar with the Delta 3hp cyclone, what size is the impeller?
    Hey Wade , my main duct was supposed to be 40 feet. Yeah I know.... Anyhow it probally will only be about 30 feet. I do not know what size the impeller is. The delta model is 50-901, 3h.p. 230 volt single phase. What type of collectors do you guys have? I have a grizzly catalog but I have never bought anything from them .I also see alot about clear-vue and onieda but have zero knowledge or first hand references for either. I just want to get a system set up right the first time. Thankyou for the input guys.

I have not seen that collector before. Spec wise it is close to my 3hp Jet 1900. For cyclones ClearVue and Oneida seem to be the top choices. Neither of which I can afford. I am replacing the bags on mine with Wynn filters and I am going to add the cyclone from eBay. I am going to use the 6" metal snap lock for my main lines. I do not expect this to be as good as the above systems, but is what I can afford as I already have the DC. To me it would depend on the price and condition of the Delta. Delta parts are hard to find, but other than the motor I wouldn't expect anything. I don't plan on running more than one tool at a time. The number of tools depends on the cfm of the system. I don't know, but hopefully someone can provide an answer. I would replace the bag on that system with a Wynn filter.

I just did a google search on that model, did not find any for sale, ereplacement parts has a parts list, looks like parts are pretty expensive. Is the unit used? If it is I would offer a little less, as you can buy a new Grizzly 3hp cyclone delivered for 1395 plus 99 shipping, in the Christmas catalog. From other threads it appears parts for Delta machines are hard to come by, and often made poorly.

So I have been doing alot of research on the web on dust collection... Now the inevitable ,more questions than answers! My biggest question is regarding filters on dust collectors, it seems more and more that pleated cartridge type filters are being used. Are they durable? How hard is it to clean them? I also can't help but think they are being used backwards on cyclones (from the inside out,instead of from the outside in). Please fill me in if I am missing something here. Bag filters are supposed to be capable of 1 micron filtration so is the downside the size they need to be? If space constraints aren't an issue would they serve me well? Lastly Jim why would you replace the bag with a wynn fiiter,are they specially made for dust collectors?

One of the differences between bag and pleated filters is the amount of surface area. Even large bags do not have as much surface area as a pleated filter. Bag filters are easier to clean, although cleaning a pleated filter is not that difficult. Where a lot of sanding is involved many choose the bag filters as they are easier to clean. Bag filters can be made to 1 micron, where pleated filters can be made to 1/2 micron. I have the Wynn filters on my DCs and clean them around every 4-6 months depending on what type of work I am doing. One system has a cyclone, where my single stage has a Thien. Most of the older DCs had 30 micron bags ( as I would suspect with the Delta ) and even some of the newer DCs the bags are to 5 micron which is not considered good enough. Visit the Wynn Filter site as they make these filters for woodworking.

Thank you for the reply William.I was on the website for american filter fabric yesterday, checking out filter bags. Would you say that bags would be cheaper in the long haul as far as replacement costs? Also how well does that thien separator work as compared to your cyclone? If I did use bags I think I would get the singed felt 1 micron made up. I will check out wynn filters today. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Thank you for the reply William.I was on the website for american filter fabric yesterday, checking out filter bags. Would you say that bags would be cheaper in the long haul as far as replacement costs? Also how well does that thien separator work as compared to your cyclone? If I did use bags I think I would get the singed felt 1 micron made up. I will check out wynn filters today. Thanks.
    I have no idea which last longer bag vs pleated filter. The Thien separator works very well with most tools. I can only guess it compares well with a cyclone except for the fine dust. The cyclone is considered much more efficient for fine dust. I still don't have my large cyclone set up, so my comments are based on the small Dust Deputy with my vacuum and what I have read from other members. I went with the Wynn filters because of surface area when compared to bag filters.

Well I phoned up wynn filters and actually got to talk with the owner himself. They sure sound like a great filter. His suggestion for what I am trying to do was to set up a plenum with holes cut out ,then to mount the filter with a flange to the underside of the plenum. Actually two filters and he also suggested making the plenum long enough for two more filters in case I ever add a wide belt sander to my shop. Good advice that I will listen to if I use cartridge filters. I also sourced a local supplier for spiral pipe today and checked out the cyclone that started this whole thread. Now just need to finalize duct layout and calculate to be sure cyclone will work and proceed. I want to thank everyone who gave me advice,opinions and help I will post what I end up with as a system when I am done.