Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Distressing

What about using actual old wood?

Think sclupting. Rasps and sandpaper allow me to sneak up on a look much better than things that cut more discretely.

my advice on dings is to do them after the piece is complete, like over months. Accelleration and exaggeration have produced more pleasing results than prediction.... TO ME!

"You have never come across as anyone vying for any sort of seat on this forum. You have come across as a guy with a boat load of talent and ability who actually works wood for his own pleasure. You have never said, "I am an expert, I am talented", but your work supports this! Don't let the detractors and deferrers get you down. They are habitual and have little to show for themselves."

Well said Chris. You have, I'm sure, expressed the sentiments of many here too worried to upset the resident "experts" who seem to proliferate these threads.

And great job by you Sean. I admire your work and your willingness to think outside the box with your designs and your eagerness to share. Yours is the real definition of what a valued member here means.

Keep away from personal attacks

On controversial subjects differences of opinion and back and forth are fine. Please stay away from the personal stuff. This is an interesting and valuable thread and I don't want to edit or close it. A couple of the answers and rebuttals have been borderline so lets back off the rhetoric and stick to the topic avoiding rancor.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'd be careful about criticizing their tone vs. their credibility. They've earned the latter. I'd hate to see a professional/expert (without quotes) walk away from here because we hobbyists can't take some truths.

Using old wood could be an option, but you almost always need to cut and plane it to size. It's rare to find pieces fitting exactly. I have some old pine boards for the back of my cabinet, and they are exactly long enough. That's nice, because they will be visible from the side. I hope I can use them.

Look guys,I have already apologized to Sean. I have been taking a strong dose of sleeping med as prescribed by my doctor. I am pretty confused and I wish I had stayed out of this thread.

If this isn't good enough for you,I guess it's just tough. I'm 73,and not always as on the ball as I once was.

I'm admitting I messed up. Is that o.k.,Sean? You do great work,as I have said repeatedly.

As for Joe,I see you are back with your usual remarks. It would be nice to see you share some constructive information.

Not at all George, just agreeing with other members observations.

No one is questioning some of the advice posted here, certainly not me as I have no experience or expertise in his technique, just the delivery of it.

Hope you feel better soon.

I was out at the warehouse of Van Hier Tot Tokyo, in Halveweg, half way between Amsterdam and Haarlem funny enough, some time back and noticed how, along with importing complete pieces they also make it a point of bringing back parts of unusable tansu for repairs. They were even good enough at the time to sell some to me and even the back pieces I have taken are most welcome because otherwise unobtainable and new wood would have to do, which is second best.

First, this is an Internet forum, so by definition I do not take anything that happens here too seriously. When we are not face to face, it's hard to judge tone. While I may get momentarily exasperated, I'm typing with a smirk and a chuckle most of the time.

I want to thank those who said such nice things. I assure you, I do not deserve any accolades. Like most of us I'd wager, I am my own harshest critic. I'm a mere hobbiest who like to make stuff, I have no illusions or delusions of grandeur.

By the way I did not take it anyone was attacking my little tavern table. It is what it is. To my mind it is an ode to the real Pilgrim table that attempts to incorporate some of the aspects of the original that I find aesthetically appealing.

What set off my little rants I guess was the progression from 1. The general sneering and dislike of adding wear to pieces, to 2. The assertion that real stuff did not suffer significant wear, to 3. The assertions that a real life example of a piece with significant real world wear (the Sack "masterpiece" pilgrim table) was fake or at least suspect.

For what it's worth, I generally prefer to let my pieces age and gather patina naturally - to let them develop their story honestly, if you will. The exceptions for me are when I use milk paint, I'll often sand through layers of color and such, but more as a finishing technique than an effort to impart the look of age. I rarely make anything like reproductions - the tavern table was an unusual project for me. If I had made a "like new" table, and let wear happen naturally, I would not have lived long enough to see a table that looked anything like the original as I do not live in a tavern and my family's use, while trying at times, would never be of sufficient volume over a short enough time.

On resident forum experts. I sure appreciate them. I appreciate them most, however, when they offer constructive advice for helping me achieve a desired end. "Oh, Sean, you wish to build a tavern table, here are some turning tips for crisp sanding-free elements." "Hey, and I see you are struggling with how to deal with the mortise and tenons on that double splay, well I've built several over my professional hand tool career, and here's what I learned and how I successfully and efficiently do it." Etc.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    What about using actual old wood?
    Finding a source could be a problem.

It seems one antique dealer had a lot of sources for 'old wood':

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-2151063.html

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Using old wood is not a good answer. You have to cut and shape old wood,and when you cut it,you expose the un patinaed (sp?)wood inside.

I would say then that in the case when old wood was made use of, remembering it's one suggestion among others and whether it's a good answer or not depends on many factors beyond my ability to determine or affect, the question of matching areas of newly exposed wood to the old would then have to be weighted in relation to aging an entire piece.

I have a bunch of very old mahogany. It gives me a rash on my arms when I use it,due to fungus inside it. So far I have managed to not breathe it,luckily,as the first time I used it I was not aware of the fungus. It is not spalted either.

Thought I'd mention this for whatever it's worth,as an aside.

Once it's been cut and planed to the required thickness,it looks like ordinary mahogany. Except for the dank smell. It is probably at least 150 years old. It came from state rooms in an old sailing ship. When the ship was demolished,the mahogany paneling and bunks were saved. I bought the whole pile at an auction of an old ship fitting company that went out of business. I also bought all of their NOS wood screws,about 2000# or more.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-26-2014 at 2:43 PM.

I've got no stories of nasty reactions to wood that have happened to me personally, maybe I have extra good resistance or am incredibly insensitive. But an old cabinetmaker acquaintance of mine told of how he went to do some repair, or restoration to an old box made of ebony found in a dark attic and suffered a reaction as he dusted the inside out, that left him in bed for two days.

I tell this story because, maybe you will find some way to get me some of that mahogany wood that is either unfit for you to use or the other way around.