Thread: mobile base I just ordered

mobile base I just ordered

http://www.rockler.com/htc-pm1000-portamate-mobile-base

It should be here tomorrow and I'll post what I think, I bought casters to make my own, then saw this that I can put in use right away, probably for less then making one. on sale for 39$ seems decent.

I bought two of them last week at the local brick n mortar..they seem decent enough!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder View Post
    I bought two of them last week at the local brick n mortar..they seem decent enough!
    great, can't wait to get mine

I've got a few of those--decent under the right load. I wouldn't trust the 1000 under a band saw (using a PM2000) or jointer (came with a heavy Shop Fox), but under my belt-disc sander it's just fine.
    earl

I have a couple of those in service. I don't like the way the cam action works to engage the two moveable casters. I plan to replace them with something that has a smoother action and is more stable when I get around to it.

I have several under my bigger tools. They work fine. Not the greatest out there, but certainly more then sufficient for my shop.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I had 2 HTC2000 mobile bases and hated them. I didn't think you could make a worse base. Looking at the 1000 I could be wrong. I hear the 3000 is ok.

I have one of those mobile bases under my 20" planer. It works just fine, however as already said the cam requires some brute strength to get locked.

I just set it up, the instructions were horrible. but now thats it is going seems to work good it is only a jet 14inch bandsaw, doesn't weigh that much. I tested it a few times and for the price I am pretty happy with it.

Art Mann, where did you see cams that are smoother? I am thinking of making another base.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I just set it up, the instructions were horrible. but now thats it is going seems to work good it is only a jet 14inch bandsaw, doesn't weigh that much. I tested it a few times and for the price I am pretty happy with it.

Art Mann, where did you see cams that are smoother? I am thinking of making another base.
    I don't know of any. I plan to either use the locking casters on a homemade base or possibly buy the kind that operates with a simple stepping action. Actually, the HTC unit linked to in Robb's post looks like a better design that you don't have to reach to the floor to operate. Several things I don't like about the Rockler. One is the fact that you can't operate it just with foot action. You have to bend over and partially lower the wheels with your hand and then force them the rest of the way with your foot. Another thing is the action is a terrible scraping action rather than a smooth sliding action. Perhaps some grease on the cam surface would help a little. Another thing is you have these aluminum cams sticking out when the base is down and it is easy to trip over them or bump them with a project piece. Finally, one of these bases is supporting a smallish band saw that I move often. The base isn't stable enough to keep the saw from rocking. I have one under a jointer and it isn't as bad because I seldom move it. I may just take the base out from under the jointer and let it sit directly on the floor.

I tried the 2000 and hated it. I have the Jet mobile bases http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6FS4MKBM7Q9F9A and http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708119-JMB.../dp/B00006S7CF
    on all my machines now and love them. They are very stable and the machine stays the same height, you just lock the wheels.
    Earl

I've got 5 different mobile bases in use in my shop. Far and away, the best is the shop fox D2057A Heavy duty mobility base. Super solid and has the smoothest rolling action as well. Well engineered. While it doesn't have foot operated stabilizing, it is super stable with only a couple of turns on the knobs. I have my Griz1023 TS (>500 lbs) on it. One really cool thing about the shop fox base - you can build it around the machine. Just a little levering needed to slide the corners under the machine. This is not the case of the others I have.

For lighter applications like a jointer or band saw, I like the Delta mobility base (50-354). It's fairly smooth and can be lifted with a single foot lever. I have two of them. You need to provide wood for the sides which adds cost, though.

I have the HTC3000 under a 15" planer and don't like it nearly as much as the shop fox even though it has foot levers and brakes.

I assembled mine, didn't like the cams sticking out either, so I turned them "inside out" so they stick "in" and they work great!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Look familiar?!?!?!?!

f.jpgThis shows how I made the cams face in when in mobile mode
    Trees. Tools. Time.