Thread: Super Bowl Trophy

Super Bowl Trophy

Here's my latest project that I completed after my last mixed media "Indian Themed Vase" that can be found on this woodworking forum. It's a 1/4 scale of the iconic Vince Lombardi Award, better known as the Super Bowl Trophy. It was quite challenging with a many different and unique setups in the mill and lathe. There was no CNC machining involved, all done "old school" by hand.

The original trophy is made out of sterling silver sheet metal and formed using a rolling machine and other methods, then silver soldered. It stands 26" tall and weighs 7 pounds.

This scale model stands just about 7" tall and weighs about 1.5 pounds made out of solid 6061 aluminum. One of the biggest challenges was how to cut the seams in the football. I used my homemade "ball turning" fixture and adapted it to mount my Foredom flex die grinder on it. Then I made an indexing system for my lathe to provide the ability to lock the spindle at various degrees so I could cut the seams in 90* increments. I made the base out of maple and put a gloss black lacquer finish on it. The NFL badge is actually a vintage lapel pin that fortunately scaled well, and I had an engraving made to honor the great, late Mr. Lombardi.

IMG_1254.jpgIMG_1257 (Small).JPGIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1268.jpg
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

Beautiful job Richard!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Well done! Creating that shape is no easy matter. I made a similar shape years ago on an Excello 921 T Lathe that involved a number of vacuum fixtures!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I haven't a clue as to how you did that but it is remarkable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Here are some shots of the construction for those of you who may be interested. It took many different setups and some that haven't even been done before.

IMG_1037 (Medium).jpgIMG_1039 (Medium).jpgIMG_1059 (Medium).jpgIMG_1090 (Medium).jpgIMG_1107 (Medium).jpgIMG_1138 (Medium).jpgIMG_1143 (Medium).jpgIMG_1147 (Medium).jpg
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!