Thread: BLO and BB

BLO and BB

I'm just curious has anyone ever tried BLO on stained Baltic Birch and what were the results?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I spilled some BLO on BB one time. Does that count?

How did it look

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Not noteworthy.

However after about 20 years, I suppose, due to the nature of BLO, it might start looking "OK".

You are proposing applying an amber oil to white wood. Amber+white = a light yellow. Meh. What little grain there is on BB, might "pop". but we're talking barely a firecracker. Not even a good a good "pop" from static electricity, mind you.

Try it.

I agree with Todd here...unless you dye first for color, there's little benefit from the oil on the bare BB. It's not horrible looking, but it really doesn't add anything.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you have already stained the wood with an oil based stain then your wood is now sealed to a point and BLO will do little but make the next finishing step more difficult.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanx for the replies guys. I guess its not worth trying then. I was just curious as to how it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    If you have already stained the wood with an oil based stain then your wood is now sealed to a point and BLO will do little but make the next finishing step more difficult.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    No.

And - spilled California Cabernet and Italian Super-Tuscan does not work, either. BTDT.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.