Thread: Changing handle on 46 skew rabbet plane

Changing handle on 46 skew rabbet plane

Years ago I purchased a 46 (Stanley's skewed rabbeting plane) with a complete set of cutters and the bolster broken for the depth stop on the main body. I just purchased a replacement body on ebay, it should be here Saturday. In the pics it looks like the wood handle on the replacement body is pretty rough and the handle I have is pretty nice. Wondering about switching them. On the one I have it looks like 1 rivet in the center of the handle and it looks like it has a larger head on one side. Has anyone replaced a handle on one of these? I assume the 45 would be the same. Any thoughts appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    My only help may be my #46 without a handle. The rivet is still there. I am not sure how that rivet was applied. Not sure if they used electrical welding back then.

My #55 came with a user replaced handle. It was held on with screws threaded into the handle support.

If that is the one at the top of the sold items (frame only) the one side looks okay but the other is a bit rough.

The hard part will be getting the good handle off without damaging it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a 46 where the handle is loose. That's a rivet and not a pin? I only see from one side so thought I had to drill the other and knock out. That might not work with a rivet.

Rich

It's just a straight pin lightly pressed into place. You can press it out from one side if it goes all the way thru as some do, or you can drill & tap it and pull it out.
    The pins are usually a little bit rusty, and tend to pull out some of the surrounding wood as they come out. Just back up the area around the hole with a piece of steel (with a hole in it) to prevent damaging the surrounding wood.
    The pin hole may not line up exactly from one handle to another.

Straight pin on mine and IIRC, not directional.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.