Thread: Sheffield/Atkins Backsaw Info.

Sheffield/Atkins Backsaw Info.

Several days ago, I acquired a batch of three saws which I purchased mainly for the Disston 8-1. Looks like a fairly new saw. It seems to cut well but could benefit from a resharpening/tuneup.

IMG_0899_2.jpg

Also in this batch was a short ( ) handsaw which, as far as I can tell, has no markings. At least none that can be seen thru the rust & grime..It also cuts but needs resharpening. No Picture at this time.

The best saw in the batch is a Sheffield SawWorks/ Atkins Backsaw. It’s steel-backed blade is 18” long x 4.5” OA depth and has a cutting depth of 3-3/4 “ It came with a plastic handle mounted using only 2 of the 4 holes in the blade and, of course, is a dead giveaway that it is not the original handle.

After cleaning the Atkins up, it looks perfectly straight, has the “Sheffield SawWorks/ Atkins” logo etching good enough to see most of the etching (difficult to photograph) and I would like to make a handle to make this saw a user.

IMG_0893_2.jpg

The question is: The size and shape of the handle so I can make one similar to the original? I have no idea if it is considered a back saw or a mitre saw.

Any information you can provide will be helpful to me.

18" is pretty long for a backsaw. I guess this is a miter box saw, and likely too heavy for freehand use.

Jim,

That was my first thought also, but it still needs a handle and I am looking for a suitable drawing or picture to make one that suits it. At least I will be able to use it then. In addition to that, I am, looking for any information concerning this saw.

My web search, so far , has not given me any info. I did find a drawing for a 4 hole Disston back saw handle but none for the Sheffield/Atkins.

Buy the way, my new workbench is now usable (almost finished) and my first project is making a saw/tool till. As luck would have it, I should have made more slots for saws.

Gotcha.

I think the Disston 4 hole pattern shown on TGIAG would do...
    http://www.tgiag.com/saw-handle-scans.html

FWIW - I really like the Regan handle used by our very own Ron Bontz.
    It feels "solid" with heavier saws.

Last edited by Brian Deakin; 10-24-2014 at 6:39 PM.

Jim,

Sorry to be so slow in answering -yesterday was a very busy day for me. Also upgrading my computer to Yosemite OS knocked out my printer and I had to work on that this morning.

That 4 hole handle link is the same (and only) one I found but after printing it just now, the holes do not line up - which leaves me with the handle/saw angle problem. It would be nicer to find a good picture or drawing of the original.

I agree, the Ron Brontz Regen handle looks very nice.

My printer stopped working again and I need to solve that first.
    Thanks for your help

Don

Brian,

Thank you for providing the links. Some I have come across in my search for a suitable handle picture and some I have not seen before. Will take a look.

As additional information, this is what I can read from the saw:

“The Atkins Saw Works
    Phoenix
    Patent Tempered Patent Ground

(Eagle Logo Area)

Special Steel ????? Warranted
    Indianopolis, IND”

E C Atkins and Company NY
    Propreitors (not sure of this word)

Any additional information you can provide will be helpful to me. My objective it to make this saw a user by making a handle for it and then resharpening it. I have never done either so there will be a learning curve for me.

Don

Don, I just sent you a PM with the email address of a friend of mine who is an Atkins collector. He might be able to help you out.

Mike
    Michael Ray Smith

Are you sure it says "NY" after the EC Atkins and Company?
    Michael Ray Smith

Mike,

Not absolutely sure of that. Today it looks more like "ATKINS AND CO". After that the logo is fairly unreadable. It looks Like "Prophet???". Sorry to be so confusing. I have MD and can not see well.

Don