Thread: Practice Bowl

Practice Bowl

Had my 2nd session with my instructor yesterday and took along a bowl that I had started but made a lot of mistakes with. Seeing a "design opportunity" I settled on a bowl about 2 inches deep and 9 inches across. Since I considered it a practice bowl I tried out some new things and had some successes and some failures. I present this not as a great bowl but a glimpse of where I am in the learning process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice--you are a beginner, right?

Jim - very impressive! I really like the design! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Very nice--you are a beginner, right?
    Very much a beginner!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Jim - very impressive! I really like the design! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve,

Thanks for that.

Excellent work! Good job on the undercut rim. Tell us a bit more about what you did in the bottom.

When it is all finished, don't give it away. I still have my first bowl and every once in a while I pick it up to remember the beginning of the journey. Meanwhile, good start. Enjoy. That's what it is all about.
    faust

Wow! What a great start! Please continue to show us future work.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    When it is all finished, don't give it away. I still have my first bowl and every once in a while I pick it up to remember the beginning of the journey. Meanwhile, good start. Enjoy. That's what it is all about.
    faust
    No chance to give it away. The 2nd in Command claimed it the minute I walked in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Excellent work! Good job on the undercut rim. Tell us a bit more about what you did in the bottom.
    Thanks for the rim comment. Making the sides properly has been a challenge for me. The instructor had recently purchased from Penn State a Carbide Multi-Bit 4 Bit Chisel and that is what I used on the side and the undercut.

The bottom was divided with a parting tool and then a Packard tool was used for the texturing. After sanding a liming compound (I think, a little fuzzy on what it was called) was applied. The colored stripes came from a Tombow pen. The entire piece was sealed prior to all this with Deft Lacquer Sand & Sealer. Some bleeding occurred which is OK because the object of the lesson was to improve my tool handling technique and to introduce some finishing options. The wood, Bradford pear was green and what the piece will look like when it dries is unknown. It is currently bagged with shavings.

Truly impressive.
    C&C WELCOME