Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Planes for Shooting?

Favorite Planes for Shooting?

Hi All,

I have been thinking about shooting boards and planes.

What are your favorite planes, sizes, etc. for shooting? My assumption is that some of you use more than one size, depending on the application. I am pretty sure that I have read that some folks even use relatively small block planes for shooting on small projects.

Also, what are good articles or books, etc., that have a lot of basic information on shooting boards?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

What are you shooting?

I mainly work on guitars, so my needs are different from yours. I started out with a LA jack, but I now very much prefer the Veritas Small Bevel up smoother. I got both as factory seconds.

Others can comment on the Infill planes, miter planes, and specialized shooting planes---should be excellent, but too rich for my blood.

Ps. Reread your post---Derek Cohen has the best info on shooting boards and shooting with a plane. Check out his website inthewoodshop.com
    Last edited by Matt Lau; 10-24-2014 at 1:58 AM.

Depends on application. Which boards are u referring to?

Blog Entries
    I used to use my Veritas low angle jack, and it works beautifully, especially since you can switch blade angles, although of course I typically use a 25 degree. I bought the Veritas shooting plane on the first day of issue, and if you have the $ and if you do enough shooting to justify a dedicated shooter, let me say this is the best one out there. It is well-made, very heavy construction, easy to use, and heavy. I love heavy planes for shooting.

I had the veritas shooting plane and I might be the only one that doesn't particularly care for it. I found just using a LA jack plane, I'm able to do everything the shooting plane does. The shooting plane seemed finicky to get the the blade perfectly square with the skew and I don't think it did any better than the low angle jack plane. I'm going to pick up a LA smoother from Lee Valley soon to use for smaller work and shooting as well and I have a feeling I might even like that better being a little smaller. I have a BU Smoother that I tend to reach for the most out of all my planes, a close second being the LA Jack plane, but it doesn't have square sides like the LA Smoother, so you can't shoot with it. Maybe it's just me, but I just like being able to pull out of the shooting board under my bench and put the LA jack plane right on the board that I just used to joint the long edge and then shoot the end grain with it instead of having to set the jack plane down to then pull out another plane to shoot a board and then have to clean it up and stick it back under the bench and then pull the jack plane back out. I'm nitpicking, but I can find other ways to spend $350 than on a dedicated plane for shooting when I don't feel it does it does it's dedicated job any better than the standard plane I have sitting on my bench currently. Just my .2 cents for what it's worth.

I prefer the sharp one. Assuming a sharp iron, I like #5. Sometimes the extra mass of the #6 is helpful but I find the #5 just about right most of the time. At the same time, a smoother or even a block plane will get the job done. I've never tried one of the BU planes for this, so I don't know how they compare.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi All,

What are your favorite planes, sizes, etc. for shooting? My assumption is that some of you use more than one size, depending on the application. I am pretty sure that I have read that some folks even use relatively small block planes for shooting on small projects.

Also, what are good articles or books, etc., that have a lot of basic information on shooting boards?

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Hi Stew

Here are a few articles on shooting boards:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...%20Board4.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...g%20board.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...tingBoard.html

... and reviews of shooting planes:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sCompared.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

Well, you did ask ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    See Derek's post above for about all you need to know.

As far as planes and sizes go, that depends on you and your needs. Most planes can be used for shooting. Standard bench planes work fine but do not leave as nice a surface as a low angle plane.

My reason for using the LN #62, low angle bevel up jack, is because of a shoulder injury suffered many years ago. A low angle plane requires less effort to get through end grain.

I have used a block plane. The mass of a bigger plane helps, especially with bigger work.

One thing to consider is the platform of a shooting board. During the first use of a shooting board there is a running strip made at the bottom when the plane trims a bit of the platform's edge. The thicker your work supporting platform, the more of the plane's blade going unused.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley Low Angle Jack here. I have a few irons for it at differing angels. Many have their favorites but, the weight and length on this one do well for me. As mentioned above, a smaller plane if you do a lot of smaller work may be desired.

Shooting-Board-1.jpg . hot dog slot-finish 009.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

#6. So far its done every shooting job Ive asked of it. It works so well Ive been able to resist buying a dedicated shooter.

YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like that hot dog attachment! Did you make that yourself?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Berlin View Post
    I like that hot dog attachment! Did you make that yourself?
    Thanks. Yes. It is a scrap of walnut I had in the bin. I tapped a hole on the no-show side and use a 1/4" x 20TPI set screw to give it a bit of friction although just shoving it on fit pretty snug. I'm just a belt and suspenders kinda guy ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    #6. So far its done every shooting job Ive asked of it. It works so well Ive been able to resist buying a dedicated shooter.

YMMV.
    Fred
    Sounds like its perfect to me
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just use a low angle #5.

I once had a Groz that I felt like shooting, but didn't want to waste the lead on it.

Oh...wait...that's not what you meant, is it...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing^^