Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: colored finish for cabinets?

colored finish for cabinets?

I am just learning how to spray paint with a compressor and HVLP gun, and suddenly realize I will have difficulty getting the finish in the color I want.

I had planned on using General Finishes Poly. However, it seems I can't really get that professionally tinted. I want to have a very large variety of colors to choose from, such as when you go to a Sherman Williams store. I haven't found any seller that provides a finish with this choice. Of course, I can tint my own finish, but that would be very complicated and I would never be able to match one batch of finish to the next.

(I did dump some black tint into a quart of Enduro Poly, and it came out very black.)

As good as General Finish might be, I don't think I want to use it. For me, the difference between a bad match of the color I want, and the color I really want, is the difference between mediocrity and perfection, no matter how glass-like the finish.

I don't think I can get targetcoatings professionally tinted, either.

My choice now are the Sherman Williams aqua kem lacquer a product Sherman Williams should be able to tint, or just plain Sherman Williams water based acrylic, which I can try to spray on. I'm not sure I can get the aqua kem.

I may be using a paint brush after setting up my paint booth and making a paint stand.

By the way, I am painting MDF pieces in the modern style. For example, I will make a dining room buffet.

You should be able to get Kem Aqua at your Sherwin-Williams store. I live in a town of about 50,000 and it's available here.

Sherwin Williams will color match most all of their products. Including the lacquers and stains. It may have to come from a regional store, as opposed to a local if yours is a small store. Usually within a weeks cycle on their truck(they run every store weekly)
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

GF's White and Clear Enduro Poly can be tinted to any color your want. Here's a link to the color chart: http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...olorchart2.pdf Give Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing a call to discuss your needs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    GF's White and Clear Enduro Poly can be tinted to any color your want. Here's a link to the color chart: http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...olorchart2.pdf Give Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing a call to discuss your needs.

John
    I had seen this PDF, but knew it would be very difficult to match colors according to a PDF, which is why I didn't want to get my finishes tinted there. However, I found that Jeff sells a hard copy of the color system:

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...terior-paints/

That will work a lot better. I personally find Jeff's ebay store very difficult to navigate. For example, his home page (homesteadfinishing) lists a whole array of finishing products, but the ebay store only has 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    I had seen this PDF, but knew it would be very difficult to match colors according to a PDF, which is why I didn't want to get my finishes tinted there. However, I found that Jeff sells a hard copy of the color system:

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...terior-paints/

That will work a lot better. I personally find Jeff's ebay store very difficult to navigate. For example, his home page (homesteadfinishing) lists a whole array of finishing products, but the ebay store only has 4.
    I have no clue about Jeff's E-bay store; I've always called him directly to get what I need. Better to pay a few dollars more and eliminate problems.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I have no clue about Jeff's E-bay store; I've always called him directly to get what I need. Better to pay a few dollars more and eliminate problems.

John
    I wasn't aware you could order directly, assuming he used ebay as his store front. Huh! I just checked his site out again, and found an order form. Yes, I would much prefer this way. Given that I work days, I think I will fax my next order in. Thanks!

as far as i know, target will tint to ben moore colors. and i agree, sherwin williams kem aqua plus should not be hard to get at all. other manufacturers like ML campbell and chemcraft can also be tinted to a huge variety of paint colors from different paint brands.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Out of curiosity... You just tint a poly and can get full color and top coat in one step? Does it get darker after every coat? I guess because it's mdf staining makes no sense. What's the advantage of that vs painting? Just a different look? I'm clueless of the process but recently got a hplv setup

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Li View Post
    Out of curiosity... You just tint a poly and can get full color and top coat in one step? Does it get darker after every coat? I guess because it's mdf staining makes no sense. What's the advantage of that vs painting? Just a different look? I'm clueless of the process but recently got a hplv setup
    Charles, The products being discussed are pigmented like paint so the coating is opaque and won't get darker when you apply another coat.

I had planned on using General Finishes Poly. However, it seems I can't really get that professionally tinted.
    What is your definition of "professionally tinted"? I've done a number of cabinet jobs using GF Enduro White Poly professionally tinted by the GF factory in Wisconsin to match several Benjamin Moore colors. Matching wasn't perfect but darn close.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Ah thanks for the explanation. Just when I thought I understood the basics of finishing there's something completely different I never heard of lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    What is your definition of "professionally tinted"? I've done a number of cabinet jobs using GF Enduro White Poly professionally tinted by the GF factory in Wisconsin to match several Benjamin Moore colors. Matching wasn't perfect but darn close.
    Professionally means not done by me. Jeff Jewiit taints the GF Poly, so I will use that. I did not realize GF taints their own finishes. If I needed, could I contact GF and have them do it? For now, I will use Jeff as my source, but I would just like to know.

Professionally means not done by me. Jeff Jewiit taints the GF Poly, so I will use that. I did not realize GF taints their own finishes. If I needed, could I contact GF and have them do it? For now, I will use Jeff as my source, but I would just like to know.
    General Finishes HQ (262) 642-4545. They'll tint to color match the major manufacturers. At least give them a call to get competitive pricing. Last time I talked to Jeff J. he was tinting a limited color palette and not capable of matching BM, SW, etc. That may have changed. Also, Jewitt charges to ship you his color pallete sample sheet.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I like to see the color before I commit to it (that goes double for my wife). SW will tint sample sizes of acrylic paint so I can brush some on a large sample panel before I order..