Thread: What is this... thing? Water pressure filter or something?

What is this... thing? Water pressure filter or something?

Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what this item is, I just know I need a new one as my water chiller on my chinese laser cutter alarms out all the time with it connected. Tomorrow I have to find somewhere that can replace it for me, but I don't even know what to ask for or who would sell one. This item is connected to the hose that goes from the water chiller to the laser tube. I'm guessing it moderates the water pressure or something like that.

Any help identifying it gratefully accepted from someone with a non-mechanical background.

Rick

20141024_170934.jpg

Water flow detection sensor, it just detects water movement in the coolant line.

Pretty much any model from your local electronics supplier will work assuming it runs from the same voltage (usually 5v)

If you really believe you don't need it and you keep an eye on your chiller being run when the laser is on then just link the two wires and bypass it to get rid of the alarm.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Dave

That appears to be a check valve to prevent backflow. Is that the same thing you're referring to?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The rocket part has a small NdFeB magnet in it Mike and the side block has a small reed switch while there is flow the "bullet" is moved along to make the switch so the sensor closes the circuit, they only operate one direction hence the reason for the nose profile and flat rear face. The spring keeps it in the open position so in the event of flow failure the spring will ensure the circuit is broken.

They tend to rock up or gunge up with slime on a regular basis in some areas though

cheers

Dave

ps:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Plastic-.../dp/B00AKVEGTU
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 10-24-2014 at 7:43 AM.
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Dave,

If the problem is usually parts being "gunged up" is it worth trying to clean or de-rock them? I assume by rock up you mean it has mineral deposits that need to be removed/disolved/cleaned off? Not that a couple of doses of the Doors or Guns and Roses are called for to fix the issue? <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Pretty much Dave although sometimes the reed switches can fail and with them only being a few bucks compared to replacing a killed tube if it fails....knowing it's not working is one thing, not being sure one way or the other is far worse

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Thanks Dave(s) and Mike,

I'll hunt a new Water Flow Detection Sensor down!

Amazon in my other post if you are in the US Rick, if UK then give Chris at HPC a call, he has them in stock

cheers

Dave
    You did what !