Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool rest extension?

Check out this setup at about 23 seconds into the video you can see what appears to be a length of hardwood shaped and clamped to the lathe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xa1d2Ktdj0

I have seen these setups before and often wondered if one could epoxy in a piece of hardened rod on which to rest the tools. I would think the top of the wood could get banged up enough with the corners of the skew that it would be a little catchy in places and prevent a smooth pass with a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have seen these setups before and often wondered if one could epoxy in a piece of hardened rod on which to rest the tools. I would think the top of the wood could get banged up enough with the corners of the skew that it would be a little catchy in places and prevent a smooth pass with a tool.

I think you could easily do that. You might also be able to cut a slot the length of the "stick" and insert a length of small angle iron. Other than that, it would most likely need to be replaced often for the reasons you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Arney View Post
    I think you could easily do that. You might also be able to cut a slot the length of the "stick" and insert a length of small angle iron. Other than that, it would most likely need to be replaced often for the reasons you mentioned.
    Or simply attach a length of angle iron to the top of the wooden upright, and smooth the edge.

Another solution. timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2013/06/wooden-lathe-tool-rest.html
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-01-2014 at 4:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Another solution. timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2013/06/wooden-lathe-tool-rest.html
    I like it!

Have fun and take care