Thread: Wasn't sure I would survive.

Wasn't sure I would survive.

8"x3" Monkey Pod wet blank. Heartwood so much more dense it retained more moisture than the lighter wood. Impossible to true up wet.
    The lathe wanted to turn over trying. Sat it in a corner letting it dry for a couple months. Finally, it behaved a bit better but.........
    the dust created by turning made every orifice in my head drip profusely. Armed with a respirator I soldiered on. Sealed with a few coats of lacquer it now seems benign. I still sneeze when I walk into the shop.

monkpod#2.jpg

Well, that is most likely the last time you will have that wood in the shop. As a side note, I have never reacted that strongly, but I won't turn Mimosa again, and will limit my use of Black Walnut.

robo hippy

I was warned about Monkey Pod dust last week while in HI but it has not been a problem in the past. I also just picked up a pickup load of Mimosa (6" to 15"D) that I will likely turn most of while giving some away. Some in my club have reported problems with Mimosa also. I do use a Trend Air Pro air helmet when turning and a dust collector when sanding which helps.

I'm inclined to believe that it had more to do with it being dry seeing as though I haven't had any problems turning it while it is wet.
    I sure hope so as I have quite a bit of Mimosa. It's very common around here and considered a more or less trash tree.
    That said, on my property, Chinaberry and Pecans are my most prominent weeds.