Thread: Fireplace insert/tv console build...

Fireplace insert/tv console build...

This is my next project. I am planning it now and realize I need to purchase the FP insert (Or at least decide on one) for measurements for that. Plus shelving measurements for cable box/dvr... My questions are 1. has anyone built one of these and what gotchas do they have as far as heat and the cabinet/finish. and 2. are there standard dimensions to use for cable box/dvr stuff. I can obviously measure what I have now but it will change. The case itself should be straight forward after these two questions. The insert will be am electric plug in type that has a rating to heat 400 sqft. Thanks, John

Blog Entries
    Electronical things do not like being subject to heat. The do, in fact, like to have free air movement. If you look at home entertainment consoles you will notice open spaces on the back to facilitate air circulation. Don't forget holes for routing cables.

I wouldn't put a heater in the same cabinet as our entertainment center.

The dimensions are not standardized but may be close enough for a one size works for all design. Maybe a trip to your local big home entertainment/electronics superstore with a tape measure would help.

Another thing that could help is making the shelves adjustable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For clarity I am looking to build something like this:

efp.jpg

Not exactly like this one but you get the idea. They seem to make them alot now so my feeling these things somehow are safe and must not generate much heat. I will look at some in the home centers and such. I know I will make the opening for the insert to it's specs to include room in the rear for whatever it needs. I also will make sure there is cable management. I run a data center so I am kinda tweaky about that so it will be good. Just wondering if there is a standard size for stereo components and such like there is for computer racks.