Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ShopNotes has been discontinued.

Blog Entries
    Are we sure this is true, or could two call center agents just be confused as to which of the numerous print publications are no longer being printed?

Shop notes is one of two publications I read; the other being Fine Woodworking. Their shop jigs were a bit over the top, but I always admired the ingenuity. I think the spindle shaping router thingamajig was the coolest shop jig I will never build, all respect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    I've worked for publishers.
    This publisher? Recently?

This seems a little strange. People say they are still getting copies of the magazine, yet it is going out of business. I have a suspicion that the original poster subscribed to the magazine from one of these con artist organizations--you know the kind that have nothing to do with the magazine at all, but advertise subscriptions at exceptionally good prices. Then they send you an invoice in hopes that you pay it. After you pay and aren't getting the magazine, you complain and find out that the organization that billed you no longer exists, or if you complain to the real publisher, you find that they have nothing to do with the people who billed you.

Any chance that this explains the whole thing?
    Cam-Saskatoon Canada

I have been a long-time subscriber to Woodsmith and I have issue #1 of ShopNotes and all subsequent issues. The genesis of ShopNotes was to break off all the articles that related to work shop tools and jigs into a separate publication. Within a few years August Home found that there was not enough new material to justify a separate publication and announced plans to discontinue publication of ShopNotes. August Home indicated that they would would publish the lesser number of articles in the Woodsmith magazine. A number of subscribers raised a hue and cry and August Homes cancelled their plans. Maybe the same will happen now.

Maybe this
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    The current subscription price of $24.95 per issue, for 6 issues a year, is 4 bucks a pop. I've worked for publishers: (I'm a retired programmer: I wrote and maintained the programs that did the book-keeping, including the data for profit-and-loss and source-and-application-of-funds: the per copy cost is nowhere near that at the worst, with the exception of the "fashion mags", with lots and lots of slick paper and photo composition, neither of which applies to Shop Notes, now does it????.
    What DOES apply to ShopNotes is no advertising. It's completely supported by buyers of the magazine. I don't know what you are including in the production costs but I hardly think anyone was taking in the big bucks with ShopNotes. Hard copy magazines have been struggling to make ends meet and closing down at an increasing pace. I really don't understand where the idea is coming from that this magazine is being closed by this publisher because of greed. That seems like nonsense to me.

As for those who thinks it's expensive...... international sub's are around 25-35$ a year......
    I did subscribe to woodworkers Journal for some years, but droppes it, as I found there was too much reprints, and that a fair number of articles often had little relevance to me as european. A paper shop in a nearby town have some of the US WW mags on the shelf, and I just look through before I buy...
    Fine Woodworking is around 25$ a piece....

My favorite mag.

Rick P

If "ShopNotes" is indeed now defunct, I'll certainly miss it. I enjoyed their format and built more projects from their articles than from any other publication. I feel SN could survive by raising the price a bit, perhaps to $6.00 and add content by (5) pages or so. This would help offset their lack of advertisement which I appreciate. I'd like to see a focused section on a specific woodworker and his designs, something which would change with the issues.

My local B&N's carries UK publications in several different venues, including automobiles, motorcycles, homes and woodworking. Oddly enough these magazines are rather expensive although seem to be doing a good job filling a void left by American titles slowly disappearing off the shelves. As I've purchased some of the UK titles, I've found them to be well done with solid content. Oddly enough, even with with additional overhead due to overseas shipping and a cover price much higher than American titles, their presence seems to be expanding. They must be doing something right.

Mac

Maybe it is my fault, I have received over $1300, 2 impact drivers and a Kerg jig from them for tips.

I will sure hate to see them go if this is indeed a fact.
    I really like it and it is one that I read cover to cover and keep all of them.

I am not familiar with the publication, but just out of curiosity I went to their website and signed up for the trial issue. Seems to have gone through; suggests they are not stopping publication.

If I were even more curious, I guess I would call them and ask.

I hope it's not true. I recently subscribed to both Wood Smith and Shop Notes. I just received SN 138 Thursday I think.

I'm with you Bill. Received over $800 in tips and an article. I also have issue 138.

Rick P

With all due respect to the OP, has anyone taken the time to double check if this is true by checking on their own subscription?

Un-confirmed?

I called up the subscription number (8004447527) and spoke with "Tammy". I asked if the possible rumor of ShopNotes' demise were true and she "could not confirm it". It could have been the way I phrased the question that made here answer sound a little cagey, but upon rephrasing she indicated as far as she was aware it was still being published and it had not been canceled.

Believe it or not, but Shop Notes does have advertising in their magazine. Each issue seems to have a late/great/neat tool that makes your woodshop life much easier, and they do print the manufacturers name and photo of the tool. I do not suscribe, but check the local BN in case there is an interesting article or 2 in the current issue.
    I also try to find a great UK mag, Furniture and Cabinetmaking, which has some neat articles, projects and features not found in the US based publications. Hit or miss finding one, but worth the $9-10 price.