Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ShopNotes has been discontinued.

ShopNotes has been discontinued.

Yes, it is true, or that is the case according to the two people in the customer service department that I have just finished talking to.

I ordered it at the beginning of August, and have received no issues. E-mails, yes, but no magazines. Today I received a bill, noting that I had not paid for my subscription. (I hadn't paid up front - the ad said they'd bill me. This seems to be common practice - at least it has been the case for every other publication that I and my wife subscribe to.)

Surprised, I found their phone number (800-333-5854) and called it.

I explained to the woman who answered that I had a bill and no issues after more than two months. I was told that my account had yet to be paid. I explained why, and again asked when the subscription would start: the bill indicated an expiration of "AUG 15", which would be correct if I subscribed in August of this year.

I again asked when my subscription would start, and I was told that Shop Notes was no longer being published.

So that is the way it is: Shop Notes is dead. WoodSmith will be enlarged to include some of the material that used to be in Shop Notes. People at August Home Publishing Company have been laid off, or so I have been told.

I guess greed wins again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    It's not greed, it's simple math. If a business is not making money or very little money, it will not survive.

I hate it that shopnotes is going under, but glad to hear that Woodsmith will continue. Sounds like the internet has claimed another victim.

Addendum:
    I just went to the shop notes website and there seems to me no indication that they are shutting down. They showed the current October issue, and a link to last months. Google search didn't tun up anything about them shutting down either. This must not be public knowledge.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-24-2014 at 5:44 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

That's a shame.
    I was going to subscribe to Shop Notes since my subscription to Wood has run out.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

It is tiring to see people defaulting to "Greed." Business is business. It is not greed to make a profit. If you do not like a company making money don't buy their products.
    I do not buy any magazines any longer as they are too expensive. Almost anything I want to know I can get on the Net.

I was always on the fence with Shopnotes. There were some good articles but I think that a lot of them were beginning to be questionable. I was not going to renew my subscription the next time it came up.

I think that they did the right thing. If it was not a money making business, then there was no need to keep it going. They were not putting the magazine out for charity.

Greed? Wow, how'd you get ahold of the financials for this privately held company to know that????

Blog Entries
    I just got issue #138. There was an option to get the hardcopy gratis with the online library I subscribe to. The website still offers subscriptions and trial copies ???
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-24-2014 at 8:06 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't really need financials... businesses don't usually go out of business for greed, they go out of business because they are loosing money. Suppose you could look at it as greed not wanting to loose more money, but... stretching it a bit? My accountant years ago, said anything that is not not making money shouldn't continue in a business. He had a point.

Oh and Glenn, Websites are the last thing to be updated when a business is closing. especially for a company that does not need to have clearance sales!

All this said just got another issue a couple of weeks ago. Will wait and see before renewing , though.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 10-24-2014 at 8:10 PM.

Bummer, I always liked Shop Notes. I just zipped through issue #138 that came recently. I don't read them cover to cover like I did when I started and was actually thinking about letting it go. I do think it's excellent for beginners who are setting up shop. Good luck to the folks.

I would love to order SN magazines but the price double for outside US,$24.95 for 6 issues within the us .$42 for Canada

Hate that. I've been a big fan of woodsmith and shop notes for ever and a subscriber. Seems choices are getting harder to come by. They killed FWW to the point I don't take that one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post

The first day of my ECON 101 class in college I learned that businesses "exist solely to make a profit."
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-25-2014 at 12:55 AM.

A friend once told me he was in the business of "making money" and he did that by running an engineering firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    It is tiring to see people defaulting to "Greed." Business is business. It is not greed to make a profit. If you do not like a company making money don't buy their products.
    I do not buy any magazines any longer as they are too expensive. Almost anything I want to know I can get on the Net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Greed? Wow, how'd you get ahold of the financials for this privately held company to know that????
    The current subscription price of $24.95 per issue, for 6 issues a year, is 4 bucks a pop. I've worked for publishers: (I'm a retired programmer: I wrote and maintained the programs that did the book-keeping, including the data for profit-and-loss and source-and-application-of-funds: the per copy cost is nowhere near that at the worst, with the exception of the "fashion mags", with lots and lots of slick paper and photo composition, neither of which applies to Shop Notes, now does it????.

HUH??

Issue #138 is on my reading table right now.