Thread: Drilling Infinity Tools Fluting Jig to fit My Router

Drilling Infinity Tools Fluting Jig to fit My Router

How would you approach drilling the fluting jig to fit the router? I tried to drill to fit it to my DeWalt 1 1/4 hp and it did not come out to well. One hole was off a little and when I attempted to do the counter drill so the screws were below the surface of the jig the drill caught and lifted the jig and I drilled the counter bore all the way through. I learned I needed to clamp the jig to the drill press table to avoid the grabbing but am still wondering how to ensure the holes are properly aligned.

I know I need to center the jig and have the Infinity Tool alignment pin now to do so. I am thinking about using double stick carpet tape to stick the router base the the jig and drill using the correct size drill using the router base as a guide.

I would use my drill press clamping to hold the jig to the table when drilling both the through holes and the counter bores.

Your thoughts??

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I think you're on the right track, George. Whenever I make another router sub-base, I use the OEM sub-base as a template. Center it, double-stick tape it, use a bit to match existing holes.

Keep track of the orientation of the router so the switch and other controls end up in a convenient place.

If I read this right, you are also using a drill bit to countersink. They have the wrong angle for most countersinks. You can pick up a cheap set at HF. They come in handy. Get the ones with one flute.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    If I read this right, you are also using a drill bit to countersink. They have the wrong angle for most countersinks. You can pick up a cheap set at HF. They come in handy. Get the ones with one flute.

Rick P
    Not counter sink counter bored. The screws are not flat head but round head and a counter bore is needed not a tapered seat for a flat head screw.

Got her done this morning and all is well.

Thanks for the response Rick.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 10-25-2014 at 4:08 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I can't count all the special sub-bases I've made over the years, but I can count all the ones where all three holes lined up the first time- 0.