Thread: 360 Woodworking

360 Woodworking

I just finally got their "what are these guys up to" video to run on my klunky tablet. I think their approach is promising. Sounds like they are going to provide the content free for a couple months, then start charging in January. I thought their price was fair, and maybe even a little low, depending on what they actually deliver. (Seems like the last issue of FWW I bought off the news stand was only a couple bucks cheaper.)

I want to see if the format really works for my needs (Im more a reader than a video learner) - can I read/use it easily, are there articles or just projects, do the plans take a lot of ink to print (seems dumb but I hate using up a cartridge to print photos when a line drawing will do as well), how does it work for my shop, etc.

Should be interesting!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What is 360 woodworking?

Sorry Art! Its a startup by 3 guys who just left Popular Woodworking to do their own thing. A couple weeks back, there were a couple long threads on SMC about the impact of their departure on the magazine and the decline of print media in general. One of the 3 partners is Bob Lang, who's work I enjoy and who occasionally posts here. The other two partners are well known but I cant recall their names just now.

Anyway, their basic concept sounds like an online magazine with embedded video where needed to illustrate a point. (Im probably not doing them justice in this simplified description.) I think Id be violating TOS to post a link to their subscription site. But google 360 woodworking if you are interested.

Have a good weekend,
    Fred

It sounds like they may be doing something along the lines of Model Railroad Hobbyist. Check it out to get a sense of what an "Web Magazine" can really be like.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have high hopes, and low expectations for this endeavor.

It's the rare craftsman that can produced fine work,
    and promote themselves.

The pitch tends to be enough to convince people to sign on.
    Following through is a slog, not for the faint of heart.

I wish them well, and will subscribe when the time comes.

For one, I think PWW just "jumped the shark".

I watch the video but where I am at now, I would much sooner spend $10 a month or $100 a year to be a member of this forum than to subscribe to a web magazine (although I am glad I don't have to). There is no doubt their information will be worth it, it is just not flexible (unless they also have a forum for members). You are limited to the information they provide. Here if I have a question about woodworking I can discuss it and get a wide variety of responses that usually give me a direction. This is probably a function of experience; I design my own stuff and build it how I want, I don't use plans. I have to make a box with some drawers for a knife set and a web magazine is completely useless for that project.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)