Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honesty

Honesty

We buy our meat at Meijer when it is on sale and we buy a bunch of it and freeze it. We buy mostly pork and chicken, generally pork roasts and boneless chicken thighs or breasts. A while back the pork roasts were on sale for $1.99 per pound but they were out of the meat. We got a rain check for the pork. We went in several times since and we wanted some of the roasts cut into chops and there was no-one to cut them or they didn't have enough meat. Finally almost a month after getting the rain check everything fell into place; they had a pile of pork roasts and there was someone there to cut them into chops. We bought 6 roasts and had three of them cut into chops. We went to pay for our stuff and the first 6 pound roast rang up for $5.41 with our rain check. Several of the roasts rang up about right but most of them way under. My wife pointed it out to the cashier and a snafu ensued. They ended up ringing up about 30 pounds of meat, charging us about $40, and sending us to the service desk to "straighten it out". My wife actually stopped at the service desk on the way out to try to give them more money. I am not sure I would have, but that is a different thread. They looked at it and ended up telling us there was nothing they could do, thank you for your business, enjoy the cheap pork, see you back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Your wife is to be commended for her honesty. She tried to make it right and Meijers chose to take the easy way out. Meijers are the ones that suffered the loss and from what you have said it was substantial.

Enjoy the pleasure of your wife's honesty and enjoy the savings they gave away to you.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

So you paid $40 for meat that was supposed to cost $60? Wow.

I respect honesty a great deal Moses. I respect your wife's attempt to make it right. I dont know what else she could have done, save trying to chase down a manager, and Im not sure that was her responsibility - Id have expected the service desk to do that.

I wonder if the service desk talked to the manager afterward to say "Hey we have a process problem because the team doesnt know how to work with our rain check system. This just happened and we gave it to her at $40 because the mistake was ours."
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-25-2014 at 8:29 AM.

You're lucky...usually Meijer "accidentally" overcharges you.

I dont know what else she could have done, save trying to chase down a manager
    Not so far back, managers were on salary & stores worked them 100 plus hours a week.
    There used to always be a manager and/or assistant manager on duty for as many hours as the store was open.
    Things have changed & now many stores often operate without an actual manager.
    A designated senior sales person fill in and they are extremely limited in what they can and can't do.

I've been running into this more and more in more and more stores.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm not surprised at the store's response. I imagine (based on reading newspaper articles about actions taken by district attorneys and attorney generals) most register errors accumulate to the store, and the difference in this case was decimal point dust to them.

If they were smart they'd train employees at the service counters to just inform customers that they value the customer's business far too much to waste their time on such matters.

The grocery business is hyper competitive and customer loyalty is very important. When I worked in the industry we were always told, "if some comes in with a competitors spoiled milk, give them a gallon of ours." It actually happened to me once and after a couple of jokes told the guy to get a gallon on us. He said his wife bought it and he assumed it was at our store. Anyway the guy walked out later with a cart full of groceries, so we made our money back and that guy left with a good impression.

On another note, when I taught college a kid called and said I made an addition error and he was given an extra few points on his test. After a short contemplation, I told him the higher grade would stick that it would be wrong to punish his honesty in that situation.

Blog Entries
    My feeling is honesty is rewarded. Whether it is a better night's sleep or the smile of a cashier who won't have their drawer come up short at the end of the day.

Your wife did you proud, Moses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Your wife is to be commended for her honesty. She tried to make it right and Meijers chose to take the easy way out. Meijers are the ones that suffered the loss and from what you have said it was substantial.

Enjoy the pleasure of your wife's honesty and enjoy the savings they gave away to you.

Im not so sure the store suffered any loss, they're name is now associated with very positive and free advertising.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

They were probably in shock that they didn't have to pay 5x the difference for a pricing error in their favor as required by Michigan law and didn't know what to do. Corporate is probably still trying to figure it out.

Honesty is such a lonely word
    Everyone is so untrue
    Honesty is hardly ever heard
    And mostly what I need from you
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Moses,

I commend your wife's honesty as well.

I see a lot more of that where I live now than I would expect based on previous experiences. Sometimes our printing system messes up and people get their prints for free. Many stop by the desk to tell us and pay up. I usually reward their honesty with a deep discount or free prints and thank them for their honesty. Some still insist on paying, often citing that we're still cheaper than any other place around.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

do anyone know the story from history about the man that spent his time searching for a honest man ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    do anyone know the story from history about the man that spent his time searching for a honest man ?
    He lied about it?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    He lied about it?
    maybe he was lying BUT we do not need to rewrite the history books