Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont get the table saw wing /router table design.

I dont get the table saw wing /router table design.

I thought of building a new router table,and since the space in my shop is limited I thought of the table saw wing/router table design ,looked at a few pictures on Google,maybe because I'm left handed but none of them seem to be useful to me ,you see, I always stand in front of the router table facing the fence (specially if the piece I'm routing is a short piece) ,guide the stock from the right while pushing it against the fence with my left hand(gently and fully aware of the sharp/spinning bit) ,this is the way I'm most comfortable and have full control.

Now if the router is in a table saw wing,Don't I have to stay at one end of the fence,leaning over the table as I'm routing/guiding the piece? ,if that's how,I would not have as much control would I?how else would you use a router table /table saw extension ?is there another safer way to rout?

I'm still not sure if I should go ahead with the RT extension build ,your help is very much appreciated.

Why not install a router table wing on the left side of the table and make a fence (like a long, hollow box, for example) to clamp onto the TS fence. That way, you can add a dust collection port to the fence and be able to cover the bit with the fence.
    JR

JR,That's where I was planing to install it,the left side is where I unconsciously am drawn to because I'm left handed but I think I still have to position myself in front of the table facing the fence,is that an acceptable stance/position of operators body using RT wing ? regardless of being left handed?.

Ken, I have my router table mounted in my table saw, due to the general lack of space in my shop. I have the Incra system mounted on my Jet saw and the table has to go on the right side of the blade, due to the motor cover. I didn't like the way Incra recommended mounting the table because I also like to work around the end of the table. I mounted mine so that I can just flip the fence around and it's like a stand alone router table. Here are a couple of my setup, maybe this will give you some ideas.

Table saw mode.

Fence flipped and ready for routing.

Earl

Blog Entries
    I have a similar arrangement with my old contractors saw.

I'm curious though, where is the saw dust?

Mine is not Incra though,

I have my router mounted in place of one wing of my TS. It's no different than working at a stand alone router table, as you can see in the photos some others posted. I appreciate the space savings and like being able to use my TS fence as part of the system. I built a BB box fence that clamps to the TS fence, or separately, for dust collection and so I can bury the bit in it when necessary.

John

It's all in the trash can and the shop vac. I had just finished doing some cleaning up when I took these pics. Here are a couple pics of my shop. The open space is where I park my lawn tractor. I move it outside and move a machine in it's place when I am working on something, or cleaning up. I wasn't kidding when I said I had limited space, I was standing where the wife's car parks when I took these.

Earl

Wow,
    I would have a hard time being productive in a shop that clean.. zowie. Sure looks pretty though.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I thought of building a new router table,and since the space in my shop is limited I thought of the table saw wing/router table design ,looked at a few pictures on Google,maybe because I'm left handed but none of them seem to be useful to me ,you see, I always stand in front of the router table facing the fence (specially if the piece I'm routing is a short piece) ,guide the stock from the right while pushing it against the fence with my left hand(gently and fully aware of the sharp/spinning bit) ,this is the way I'm most comfortable and have full control.

Now if the router is in a table saw wing,Don't I have to stay at one end of the fence,leaning over the table as I'm routing/guiding the piece? ,if that's how,I would not have as much control would I?how else would you use a router table /table saw extension ?is there another safer way to rout?

I'm still not sure if I should go ahead with the RT extension build ,your help is very much appreciated.

I stand and use my TS wing RT exactly as you describe. Why do you feel you need to stand at one end of the fence?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Rumans View Post
    I also like to work around the end of the table.
    That's what I was wondering about,so you do position yourself in such a way that you face the RT fence and also you are able to touch both ends of the stock if you need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Rumans View Post
    I mounted mine so that I can just flip the fence around and it's like a stand alone router table. Here are a couple of my setup, maybe this will give you some ideas.
    I got it,although in my case I'll have to install the router on the left side ,no need to flip the fence ,may use the table saw fence and attach an auxiliary fence to it just for the router.
    Thank you for taking the time to post pictures,and many thanks to all of you for your replies .

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I stand and use my TS wing RT exactly as you describe. Why do you feel you need to stand at one end of the fence?
    I for some reason thought one would have to use the same position as operating a table saw,but I got it now.
    I guess I'm getting too slow and needed a picture for the penny to drop,BTW ,thank you for your help and the pic.

12. Here is my setup. I'm left handed and have no problems at all plus it has the advantage that I don't have to break down a setup to use the other tool be it the router or the saw.
    7-4-11 004.JPG7-4-11 002.jpg7-4-11 001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Wow,
    I would have a hard time being productive in a shop that clean.. zowie. Sure looks pretty though.
    I have to keep the dust down with my cars parked in the rest of the garage. I move my wife's car out when I am working but my Mustang has a cover on it, plus it's another bay over, so I leave it inside. It works out fine, I am just frustrated some times with the lack of space for everything and having to stop and clean up all the time.

Ken, yes I work more around the end then on the side, I just like it better. If I am cutting dove tails or something then naturally I am on the side but for most stuff, I like being able to see everything. Sorry for the thread jack about my shop.
    Last edited by Earl Rumans; 10-25-2014 at 6:15 PM.
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Here is my setup. I'm left handed and have no problems at all plus it has the advantage that I don't have to break down a setup to use the other tool be it the router or the saw.
    7-4-11 004.JPG7-4-11 002.jpg7-4-11 001.JPG
    Thanks for the pics Alan although your setup looks opposite to Earl or Bruce's setup .I appreciate your help and posting them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post

This is why I built my extension on the left side of the saw. I could not effectively use a router table for the things I use it for if I had to reach over my saw to use it. Router table on the right of the saw? Weird to me ;-)

Previous saw:

Done-001-small.jpg

Current saw:

SawStop (2).jpg

A downside to this is that you cannot mount a sliding table extension so, this is just a choice one must make based on what they do.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-25-2014 at 8:34 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler