Thread: Two routing questions

Two routing questions

Had a frustrating day in the woodshop today. Was working on cutting out the windows on the candle holders shown here lumberjocks.com/projects/25037

1) At full speed, the router bits burn severely. The only way I have figured out to minimize the burning is the slow the router down. Ryobi router bits, carbide tips. Is this the typical way of preventing router bits from burning

2) Since I slowed down the router, it had a tendency to grab the wood. I was routing the windows free hand trying to carefully open up the size of hole, but the router would catch the maple, causing it to shatter and grab. I think I will try to set a fence and use the fence as a guide to prevent the router from taking off more than about 1/16 or 1/32 at a time.

Are there any other ways to minimize router grab?

Appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-26-2014 at 7:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am a bit confused. You said that the router tends to burn at high speed, but when you slow it down it tends to burn. What type of bit are you using and how big is it? So, are you starting with a starter hole and free handing the router to open it up to the finished window size? First, if you do that, be sure you are not "climb cutting", that is moving the bit in the direction it wants to move and catch. I would use a template the size of the finished hole and jigsaw out within a 1/4 or 1/8" of the line and use the router with a pattern bit (guide bushing on top) to finish the hole. A dull bit will burn, guaranteed. And you need to keep the router moving, stop it and the bit will burn.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-25-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    You need to read the grain of your wood. Where the cutting edge of the bit hits the end of the grain at ~80-90 degrees you are likely to get the grab and shatter problem. Lighter cuts may help. One method that can be used is climb cutting those areas where the grain angle is going to cause problems. However, when climb cutting the router will tend to self feed (pull itself along the cut). Unless you are taking light cuts and have good control of the piece and the router this can be hazardous. Try the lighter cuts first.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Meant to say that the wood tends to grab and shatter at slow speed (did not mean to say it burns). I edited my original post to reflect this.

definitely use the jig saw to rough cut the window, then use router or router table and template with pattern bit to make the final finish.

Marc Spagnuolo has a good video explaining the use of pattern bit, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8YJ16ziI8M
    Last edited by James Zhu; 10-25-2014 at 11:20 PM.

I have four things :

First of all the sharpness of the router bit. Dull bits tend to burn more easily.

Second, the rate of feed. If the feed is too slow or not smooth and consistent, burning is possible.

Third, the type of wood. Cherry and, to a lesser extent, maple are prone to burning without a good rate of feed and sharp bits.

Lastly, as Lee says, try taking shallower cuts, at high rpms.

Blog Entries
    I will just say how I would approach that cut although there are other ways just as viable. Jigsaw to within a 1/16" or so of the line, make a template, double stick tape the template to the blank and route the waste away at a higher speed. The template allows you to move right along to avoid burning, the small amount of waste avoids the grab and tear.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

IMO.. Either the bit is dull or your taking too much off. If your using a bearing - Template bit, can you move the template so there is 1/16" left, then remove it on a second pass. Climb cut it if your comfortable with it ?

Ryobi router bits, carbide tips
    That's not an insignificant part of the problem right there.....
    A decent quality spiral downcut bit will go a long way towards solving the problem.
    1/2" shank if your router will take it.

(I actually like Ryobi stuff for a lot of things.
    Bits however, aren't one of the things they make that are worth anything. Their router bits are pretty much a one shot/one use item)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In terms of router bit, I like

1. White side
    2. Eagle America
    3. Freud

I think a lot of folks hit it on the head. First, I work mostly in cherry which is a burn king of woods. For worry free cuts you can:\

1) Use sharp quality bits. I'd reccomend whiteside they last long and quality is top notch.
    2) method. Generally burning is not from going to fast, but too slow. Get some scrap and practice and try different feed rates.
    3) trying to do to much in one pass. I don't know your router power, or the size of the bit so you may be underpowered
    4) Finally sneak up on it. Take lighter passes, and for that final one you could do a climb cut, but you got to be careful and have control of that router.

Good luck.