Thread: Laguna LT18HD or Minimax MM20

Laguna LT18HD or Minimax MM20

Hello fellow Creekers’

I know that you have seen a post like this before. I am in the market for a new band saw. I have narrowed down my choice to either a Laguna LT18HD or a Minimax MM20 aka S500P. I chose these saws over the LT16HD or the MM16 because I would like a table at least 19" x 27”. I do not see myself making a lot of veneer, but I will be doing plenty of resawing and dimensioning of lumber. I especially look forward to ripping 16/4 Cherry, something that terrifies me on a table saw. Im summary, I’m looking for a relatively quite and powerful saw that doesn’t vibrate a lot. I don’t want to ever get the upgrade bug again, at least for a band saw.

Please let me know what you think.

Bill, Cannot speak for the Laguna I do have an MM 16 it's top-notch have not had any problems with it,I make a lot of corbels and do rough angles finish up on the edge sander,And I've had good results with what resawing I do , don't think you would go wrong with The M M 20
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Bill, I had a Laguna LT18 for about 5 years. Now I have a MM16. Both were good machine but I prefer the MM. Primarily because the column stays in far better alignment in minimum and maximum cutting heights. The Laguna varied by 1/8" left to right between these two cutting heights. I am very pleased with MiniMax machines.

In bandsaws bigger is better, they're both Italian made and excellent. You can't make a bad decision on this one

While I'd take the ACM 24x17 over the MM 20, I would not put the 18" in quite the same class. The 250 lb weight difference to too much to ignore. I like ACM saws but that is not an apples and apples comparison. ACM 540 would be closer. Felder also also sells ACM saws in addition to their own. Dave

I've found conflicting info regarding the net MM weight so it is worth verifying. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 10-26-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Like John, I Can't speak for the Laguna but I have been very pleased with my MM16. For re-sawing a good band is almost as important as the bandsaw. I use a 1" Lenox Tri-Master 3tpi carbide.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well, I just placed my order for a S500P (MM20) on Friday.

I spent the better part of the last couple weeks trying to assure myself that I was making the right decision. My decision however was between the Mini Max 20" and the Felder FB 510. Laguna was not a consideration due to bad customer service on a previous purchase.

My decision was made on the following. More horsepower. Stronger table trunion (or hinge-like assembly on the MM). Larger resaw capability. Larger blade width capability (not that this will probably matter). 220 pound weight difference. The S500P is made by Italian manufacturer Centauro while the Felder is assembled in-house in Austria with the frame being constructed in China.

Both companies seem to have good customer support from what I've read. Both have loyal followers.

I hope I made the right choice. Then again... how wrong could I go with either of these manufacturers?

Scott in Montana

I have the MM20 but I put a Driftmaster fence and Laguna ceramic guides on it. Best of both.
    The Plane Anarchist

I also own the MM20.

Make sure it has the mobility kit, and you have a stable 220 vAC supply.
    It's the only power tool I regularly use.

As LB says, the stock guides can be improved.

Oh yeah. Thanks for the reminder Jim.

I forgot to mention that the Mini Max comes with the mobility kit.

Scott in Montana

I have a Laguna because of the Driftmaster fence and ceramic guides that came with the package deal. Were on the MM you need to posible upgrade? So cost was a factor for me.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the MM20 and really like it. I think the mobility kit is less than optimal with the small size of the wheels, especially if your concrete floor is at all rough. I replaced the kit with Great Lakes casters and couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I have the MM20 but I put a Driftmaster fence and Laguna ceramic guides on it. Best of both.
    Same here.

I have a feeder too but wish the MM20 table was larger - the feeder is really for a 24 class machine not a 20. Ill mod the table to make it work but could you move up to a 24?

No question in my mind the MM20 is nicer than the Felder and the Laguna. You made the right choice Scott although any in this class is amazing.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Which feeder do you have Mike?

I've been looking at the Comatic resaw feeder with the sandpaper belt feed. I have also seen their model with the large horizontal feed wheel. It may be discontinued.

Your input would be appreciated. I have a large resaw project ahead of me next Spring. Speed will not be the priority; accuracy and consistent cut will be more important.

Also, do you have a preferred resaw blade? For this upcoming job kerf thinness will be important in order to keep waste down.

Thanks in advance,

Scott in Montana