Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planing with a router - which bit do you use?

Planing with a router - which bit do you use?

I have to thickness a couple 100"+ walnut slabs for a dining table. I'm planning to do this with a router on rails.

I was planning to go at this with a 1" bottom cleaning bit, but Amazon's Big Brother search engine found me out and suggested I get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnate-Surfac...flattening+bit

Has anyone used a bit like this on a 2hp or 3hp router?

Is it advisable to use a smaller bit so I can take slightly deeper cuts? I have no aversion to cleaning up with a handplane.

Other suggestions of bits to use welcomed.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The only experience I've had with having to surface with a router was with a large convex surface. We found that a large tray/bowl routing bit gave the smoothest finish because of the radius on the corners of the bit.
    http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...groove_forming
    Last edited by Mark Wooden; 10-26-2014 at 9:52 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkBZHLJyD0

Marc Spagnuolo used Amana 45453 1 3/4" diameter straight bit to flatten the workbench top in the video, check it at 4:03.
    Last edited by James Zhu; 10-26-2014 at 9:57 AM.

1/4"shank on a 1 1/2" bit does not sound like a good idea.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    It's not, too much chatter/vibration

Over on Router Forums those Magnate bits get pretty good reviews.
    The other cheapie that fares well is the Yonico
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZM20GU/...U&linkCode=asn

Sorry - I haven't used either, but, I was looking at Router Forums for suggestions.

Naturally - as expected - Whiteside &/or Amana get top marks over there for the best.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I do a lot of router sled planing of large hardwood slabs, 1 to 2 per month on average. After trying numerous bits I settled on the Magnate 2706 Bottom Cleaning Bit ( 2" cutting diameter, 3/4" cutting length with a 1/2" shank) in a PC 890 (2 1/2 HP) running at 16,000 RPM. This bit really does a solid job but be aware that upon completion of the planing process there will still be a need to sand out the tiny ridges, more like registry lines, that one gets with any bit in this process. Magnate seems like a solid company; wide selection, reasonable prices, quick shipping, good people and the bits outlast any of the others I have tried.

Someone else here has undoubtably had a good experience with a different set-up and I welcome their input as well.

Prashun, what type of planer do you have? I've planed a number of 10'-13' boards on my 15" using infeed-outfeed roller stands. Are your boards too wide for your planer?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I bought one of these to surface the spoilboard on my cnc router. It works great.
    Freud 12-194
    What ever you decide on, I would not go with anything that has a 1/4" shank.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've done a couple of large slabs with a Grizzly 1/2" shank bowl bottoming bit in my 3 HP router and it did a great job. Straight to the ROS afterwards.

John

Thanks Guys. I did not realize that shank was 1/4". I definitely would use a 1/2" shank bit.

Scott, the slabs are each 22-24" wide. I am SO tempted to rip them down the center and then run them through the planer. But I think I'll have more issues re-gluing them perfectly.

John, do you have a picture of the sled you used?

The other issue I have is that the slabs are over 100" long. So making straight rails for the router is an issue; I'll have to bricklay a couple 8' sections and then joint the rails, I guess.

Considering the length of the material-- 8 feet + and almost 2 feet wide -- that you are attempting to thickness, I would obtain some bids from cabinet shops/lumber yard as to how much they would charge to run it through a large surface planer and/or drum sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    ^^^THIS x10!!!^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ........I am SO tempted to rip them down the center and then run them through the planer......
    To quote Conrad in The Heart of Darkness: "The horror!!! The horror!!!"

Take one more step closer to that line, and we will be obligated, by blood oath, to convene The Secret Society off-forum to decide your punishment. You will be notified of the penalty assessed.

Router sled or machining service.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I usually go for the biggest bottom cleaning bit I can find.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.