Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CS's Blog Post on Notched Battens

CS's Blog Post on Notched Battens

Anyone else see CS's post on notched battens and Richard Maguire? I've been using notched battens for awhile and their use allowed me to eliminate the tail vise on my last bench build. It was pretty much win win, easier and cheaper bench build then in use less monkey motion to hold the work piece. I have a Paramo vise from the 70's that I planned to mount as an end vise if after working on the new bench for awhile I felt the need....I don't expect it to happen.

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    Most excellent read and video - Simple works. I still would not kick my end vise out of bed but I like the option and it does look like you can really cook through boards of same size faster. I'm gonna take the 5 minutes it takes to make one and try it out.

i imagine at some point, we'll see someone thickness a board with just a scraper negating the need for a jack or smoother but only time will tell...I am joking of course ��
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Anyone else see CS's post on notched battens and Richard Maguire? I've been using notched battens for awhile and their use allowed me to eliminate the tail vise on my last bench build. It was pretty much win win, easier and cheaper bench build then in use less monkey motion to hold the work piece. I have a Paramo vise from the 70's that I planned to mount as an end vise if after working on the new bench for awhile I felt the need....I don't expect it to happen.
    Nope - I haven't a clue what you are referring to. Which thread was that one in?

Pat,

blog.lostartpress.com/2014/10/26/in-defense-of-the-notched-batten/

I've a big yellow to go with the chocolate one in my avatar. There isn't a sweeter or better dog.

ken
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-27-2014 at 6:28 AM.

Andy,

One of the reasons I built the new bench was the split on the old bench was right where I needed a dog hole for the holdfast. I didn't install an end vise and have not missed it nor did I expect to. The old bench had a wagon vise that may have been used a half dozen times over the 3 or 4 years it was my primary bench. Of course as always YMMV.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Pat,

blog.lostartpress.com/2014/10/26/in-defense-of-the-notched-batten/

I've a big yellow to go with the chocolate one in my avatar. There isn't a sweeter or better dog.

ken
    Thanks for the link. Now I understand. I put that in the category of 'there's more than one way to ...'. I actually could make use of that method.

Seems like CS built a bit of strawman to be outraged by. Kees question about existence in the historical record did not seem the least offensive or meant to suggest that the technique was not legitimate if no historical evidence could be cited.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

I don't quite remember that thread anymore. Did I question the historical relevance? I thought it was a mighty brilliant idea and sometimes I use this trick.

I read the comments to the guy's original posts, and the only thing I saw that came close to what CS referes to is a question from you about whether there are paintings or books depicting this.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

As I expect most woodworkers could care less about the historical record, the referral kinda went over my head. Now that I know the back story it is still pretty much a non-issue.

Bottom line: There are ways to hold work that do not require vises, many are very useful and sometimes better. That said, you ain't going to ever get me to give up my English QR face vise (Paramo 52). God Save the Queen. :-)

Now I remember. It was Warren on Woodnet who questioned if this device has been around for hundreds of years, because he liked to see a reference first. So I thought, why not ask Richard himself? But woodnet threads disappear after a year, so I have no idea anymore what all the houpla was about. The idea is great, and it is kind of fun that Roubo wrote about it too. So afterall Richard was right, this idea was really hundreds of years old.

I don't much care if the notched batten dates back to Egyptian tomb builders or McGuire invented it yesterday. I saw him demonstrate it in a video a little while ago and gave it a try. It's darn useful way to hold a board if you ask me.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I recall some of the original coverage of the notched batten, but hadn't viewed the video. Makes me want to try it now (and get a fore plane like Richard is using).

I don't recall any particular controversy for this... maybe this is a blogger's version of ptsd?

I recall more controversy over Richard's dimpling of his holdfasts
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    ... maybe this is a blogger's version of ptsd?
    Seems like it. The original poster's response was pleasant and a good time was had by all. I don't subscribe to any blogs, but if McGuire's stuff is as similar and useful as that, without trying to become a blog personality, I may have to go subscribe to his.

If warren doesn't ask relevant and reasonable questions, I don't really know who does. Looking things up after the fact as a gotcha is a truly internet thing.

It is a decent way to hold things for sure. I ended up finding more success with a rounded end. I found it less sensitive as you can move the batten to suit the clamping point without loosing contact on the corners.

holdfast betten.jpg

Not sure about the holfast dimple issue but I have an oldish one with dimples all down it's back.

J V Hill Holdfast.jpg

Holdfast.jpg