Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An awful counterfeit

Personally, I think someone ought to find out from TLN if it's real before they report the guy. It's very unlikely that it's a stanley beader or any older beader at all. It may be something that someone else casted, though.

But have a look at the current more refined LN version and then have a look at the screws and fixtures on that one. They're not much different.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Personally, I think someone ought to find out from TLN if it's real before they report the guy. It's very unlikely that it's a stanley beader or any older beader at all. It may be something that someone else casted, though.

But have a look at the current more refined LN version and then have a look at the screws and fixtures on that one. They're not much different.
    It's hard for me to believe that LN would allow something like that to leave their shop, and if they did, they'd either not mark it at all, or do a much better job of marking it. It may be a casting that someone made from a real LN - but then the LN name would be in the casting (copied from the original).

My guess it that it's a casting that someone made - without the LN name -and then someone added the name.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There'd be no harm in asking if that's the case. LN could easily confirm it. All of the suppositions in the world that we could make wouldn't bottom out a balance against a yes or no from TLN.

it could be 25 years old for all we know, and our thoughts about what they make now (vs. when they started or shortly thereafter and made sort of a homely version of the stanley 95) could be on the wrong place in the timeline, if you know what I mean.

It's curious to me that the screws on it are the same as they are on LN's current makes, but not similar to anything else out there.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-27-2014 at 10:24 AM.

There'd be no harm in asking if that's the case. LN could easily confirm it. All of the suppositions in the world that we could make wouldn't bottom out a balance against a yes or no from TLN.

it could be 25 years old for all we know, and our thoughts about what they make now (vs. when they started or shortly thereafter and made sort of a homely version of the stanley 95) could be on the wrong place in the timeline, if you know what I mean.
    I sent LN a note about it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I sent LN a note about it.

Mike
    It'll be interesting to see what you find, though actually knowing the answer will certainly squash what could've been a 100 post thread!

Place your bets everyone. I have a stick of white chalk on it originating from LN several decades ago. high roller terms for anyone else who wants take a bet that has no real winners and no real payoff!!

The more I look, the more legit it looks. So, David, not sure who is going to take the other side of the action.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Wow...those letters are in the casting. Not added later.

Blog Entries
    If it turns out to be real, then it is worth twice the price of a new one. I base this on a recent offering of this LN bronze #1. Apparently they double in value after purchase.

image.jpg

Hahah...did someone actually buy the 1 for that?

The rare times that something like this shows up and is real, it seems like very few people have interest in it.

Nobody here is going to snag it BIN to be the holder of the famous crusty looking prototype plane, huh?

Blog Entries
    That #1 stayed up for a while. Either some poor soul bought it, or more likely someone let the guy know what it sells for new and he ended the auction.

As for the original topic- the rough edge on that beading tool would tell me it is most likely a fake. I would think any good tool maker would have dressed that edge with a file if nothing else. ... or else I just insulted TLN? Sorry Tom, but if that's real I will end on a positive- your skills have much improved over time. :-)

I think that this may be genuine - an early model. It is not a Stanley: it lacks the patterning of the Stanley ...

LN on eBay ..

Stanley (mine) ...

and LN (from LN site) ...

Not that the fences in the new LN are the same. The blade holder is the same design as the LN (but a bit cruder), and different from the Stanley.

Similarly, the shoulders near the handles are the same shape (square), while the Stanley is rounded.

I'd argue that this is indeed a "tarnished" and worn early LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-27-2014 at 12:05 PM.

It'll be interesting to see what you find, though actually knowing the answer will certainly squash what could've been a 100 post thread!

Place your bets everyone. I have a stick of white chalk on it originating from LN several decades ago. high roller terms for anyone else who wants take a bet that has no real winners and no real payoff!!
    I'm on your side on this one! I'm betting it was a LN prototype and that it went missing from their shop years ago and as now surfaced on EBay. They probably want it back. They might be willing to pay $$$ for the historical significance. On the other hand you might be aiding and abetting a crime to sell / buy it.

Man, now I feel like doubly a fool. You guys are convincing me it's most likely the real deal. I was misled by the crudeness overall, and didn't consider some of the features that you guys are now pointing out, that really make it seem like it's an early version. I jumped to conclusions based on what looked like a crude etch, and didn't take the time to think it through or compare the features much. Feel foolish about that. Thanks for setting me straight. And oh, the double the fool is because it looks like I could've sniped an early L-N for $75, if it turns out to be genuine! Still holding out hope that Thomas L-N denies its existence, so that I'm not totally wrong, I guess…

But I enjoy a good mystery, so thanks for the detective work, and I’ve learned a lesson or two along the way!

Blog Entries
    But I enjoy a good mystery, so thanks for the detective work, and I’ve learned a lesson or two along the way!
    Someone once told me, "if you aren't learning something new everyday, you aren't trying hard enough."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks like it's real. Here's the note I got from LN:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Thank you for your email, Michael! That is actually a Lie-Nielsen tool. For the first five or so years that we made the No. 66 we did not have the tooling to mark it with our logo. We do appreciate your concern!

Best wishes,

Kirsten