Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An awful counterfeit

Blog Entries
    Well shut my mouth. Oh, and Tom- about that comment I made earlier about the quality of work... ummm... I hope this won't come between our relationship where I give you all my money and you send me tools. :-)

Any takers on a pool for what price it now gets?

Blog Entries
    OK, tell ya what- I'll bet you $1,000 it goes for more than $100. Wanna bet?

It might. I've seen their early and less neat tools get spurned, though. My stick of chalk bet can't hold a candle to real dollars.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-27-2014 at 3:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Actually, David, I was going to take his bet, bid $101, and cash in. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Actually, David, I was going to take his bet, bid $101, and cash in. :-)
    You would need someone else to bid it up above the minimum.

Any offers to split the winnings?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This whole story alone is worth $500. It's on my watch list now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Haha - you know I can hear you, right?

I've made a fool of myself once in this thread. No chance of any suckers bets here. Trust me, I'm going to be very suspicious before I commit to anything in the next week or so, until I forget about this thread...

+1 on this.

We must police our own.
    eBay has millions of listings,
    they can't verify all of them.

Down to us, to make sure somebody else
    doesn't get taken in by fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bernardo View Post
    Haha - you know I can hear you, right?

I've made a fool of myself once in this thread. No chance of any suckers bets here. Trust me, I'm going to be very suspicious before I commit to anything in the next week or so, until I forget about this thread...
    I would've wrinkled my face at it at first look, too, but not thought much else other than that they had been casting some samples and some got loose. They are in maine, and things work a little bit differently there.

There used to be a guy on the auction site that claimed that he worked at LN back when they were starting out, and he would buy seconds from the production. He would then take the imperfect tools and rework them into usable ones and sell them on his own. I bought a 212 scraping plane from him that I think was white bronze, but I don't recall exactly. It had a rosewood knob. The price was about what used ones might sell for. This beader would be the kind of stuff he might have had access to. An owner or two later this might be one of his items. Who knows?

Blog Entries
    Okay, so who bought it? It went for $81. Ahhh Patrick must be kicking himself for not taking my bet.

I'm curious who bought it too. I watched the auction, but didn't pull the trigger. I figured that if I'm buying ugly, I'm buying Stanley ugly for cheaper. I want my Lie Nielsen to be pretty if I'm shelling out the cash.

I was a bit surprised that your bet would've been a good deal. I figured that this discussion kicked up enough dust here that people would be bidding on that one.