Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behr paint isn't as bad as everyone says

Behr paint isn't as bad as everyone says

I checked Consumer Reports and the #1 rated interior paint in their last test was Behr Premium Plus Ultra. Based on that recommendation I decided to use that paint to completely repaint the interior of the house I am renovating.

The paint went on as well as any other mid to high grade paint I have used in the past. It covered a bedroom painted bright pink in one coat. I never would have considered Behr paint if not for the recommendation from Consumer Reports.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 10-27-2014 at 4:22 PM. Reason: missed a word

That's what I used to hang my hat on when I bought it instead of S-W.

For that matter, if the inlaws are painting anything in the house, we still buy it because FIL likes it (and I've seen him really work paint for a long time after putting it on - he'd have a nightmare with SW).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    bright pink in one coat.
    Might want to put a sign at the door of that room that says Maricopa Cabana.

I think any of the modern paints are better than what we knew as paint ten years ago or more. I've used the Behr from Home Depot or Valspar from Lowes if we were in a hurry, and that was the most easily available. Any of it is decent. If I'm going to spray something, it's much easier to do a perfect job with Sherwin-Williams paint though.

Sherwin and Benjamin are so darn pricey...it is hard to pay $40-60/gallon for paint but then again I don't do it for a living. I'm sure they are very good paints but I just can't do it.

That said, we had a very bad experience with the Martha Stewart brand of paints at the orange borg. That one I'll never buy again. Behr works just fine for us. The Ralph Lauren the orange box used to have was fine, too. Our local hardware store also used to carry Dutch Boy. I like that one as well. DB comes in all plastic square (well, a rectangular cube) container that I really like. No more rusting and it seals well and stores nicely.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Behr premium plus ultra paint is not bad. If you have to buy behr. This is the only paint I would buy there.
    Last edited by thomas hsieh; 10-27-2014 at 7:17 PM.

Consumer Reports lost me on paint years ago when their top exterior choice was Pratt&Lambert Accolade--we used it once on an exterior, and the cursed stuff would both drag and sag. Those are always mutually exclusive qualities. If a paint is tricky (or messy) to use, I don't care what other qualities it has, I won't use it unless it's the only option for a specific situation.

I'd love to see that "one coat coverage". In my experience, that's a myth. Many times I've had clients not be able to tell that something needed another coat, but I could see the deficiency in coverage. If one paint gives 80% coverage per coat and another is cheaper, gives 60% coverage per coat (meaning that both would need a second coat for full coverage) and is easier to use, which would you buy?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Consumer Reports lost me on paint years ago when their top exterior choice was Pratt&Lambert Accolade--we used it once on an exterior, and the cursed stuff would both drag and sag. Those are always mutually exclusive qualities. If a paint is tricky (or messy) to use, I don't care what other qualities it has, I won't use it unless it's the only option for a specific situation.

I'd love to see that "one coat coverage". In my experience, that's a myth. Many times I've had clients not be able to tell that something needed another coat, but I could see the deficiency in coverage. If one paint gives 80% coverage per coat and another is cheaper, gives 60% coverage per coat (meaning that both would need a second coat for full coverage) and is easier to use, which would you buy?
    1. Consumer report are not painters.
    2.There is no such thing as "need only one coat coverage" or "primer and paint in one"
    3. Even $50 paint like bejamin moore Aura paint needs 2 coat.

I always put on two coats, but every room in our house has Behr paint, painted by me. Best paint that I have every used by far...but I am not a professional painter and haven't had experience with "pro paint". For me, a homeowner doing it himself, it's the best paint out there for the price and yes, I've used other paints years earlier that I didn't like. Right now, every color in every room is a Behr paint and I had no issue.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I used Behr exterior latex on a sailboat I built about 12 years ago. It worked just fine for the application and it was easily touched up when there were dings in it. I made the mistake of getting a drip of paint on the driveway and after all that time, it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas hsieh View Post
    2.There is no such thing as "need only one coat coverage" or "primer and paint in one"
    3. Even $50 paint like bejamin moore Aura paint needs 2 coat.
    Sorry, but, nope. We used Behr eggshell paint to do the bedrooms. It was truly a 1 coat job doing a complete color change.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have used quite a bit a Behring over the last few years. The premium plus was fine but the premium plus ultra was too thick and didn't cover better. Their new line called marquee is something else. My daughter's new room looked like coffee with a little cream, and we painted it a light pinkish purple in one coat. It wad a custom color and not from their pallet. Since I had the extra paint I rolled a second but didn't notice any difference. Never seen anything like it. And we'll worth the 40 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Sorry, but, nope. We used Behr eggshell paint to do the bedrooms. It was truly a 1 coat job doing a complete color change.
    Have you primed first? What color is the new color? What was the old color before? Drywall or texture?
    You can get away with bedrooms, but I would never do only 1 coat in bathrooms.

Two coats will outperform 1 coat in terms of durability, protection, wash ability.
    Last edited by thomas hsieh; 10-28-2014 at 1:17 AM.

when we were painting drug stores we used Glidden ultra that was a very good paint.

Blog Entries
    Coverage in my experience is directly proportionate to the amount of white in the color selected. A tint of blue will cover much better than straight blue (substitute any primary or secondary color you like). I have never found any paint that covered in one coat a pure pigment.

That said, "I hate both Behr and Valspar." The previous owner used Valspar on some trim (and then , like a bone head, he covered it with a varnish). I tried to match with Valspar, but after three imperfect coats had the color matched by a different maker. It worked perfectly. LOML and DS started painting his room with Behr but I had to finish it as they could not get it to cover properly. I use other brands currently.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"