Thread: Bowl on a square platter

Bowl on a square platter

This is a piece of fiddle soft maple about 11 1/2" across. Turning the base of the bowl was a Challedge. I used a bowl gouge sharpen to an 1/8 th inch nose with 2" swept back shallow wings. The nose cut a relatively clean seep to the intersection of the bowl and the platter. Minimumal sanding was necessary. The bowl is about 1 1/2" high. All is 1/4 to 5/16" thick. It is finished with oil follow by two coats of Mohawk pre cat lacquer.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

nicely done, Bob

Very nice. Great piece of wood also.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

That is a really neat piece. The grooves/bead on both the bowl and saucer are an excellent presentation and well done. I think that it will be copied by viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is a really neat piece. The grooves/bead on both the bowl and saucer are an excellent presentation and well done. I think that it will be copied by viewers.
    Thanks Tom, it did help to use a fairly shallow form. The thicker the blank the more difficult the undercut becomes. The beads were cut with a pointed 3/8" spindle gouge. It is important to set the tool rest at the center line to keep the pointed gouge from skating instead of piercing the wood.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I like it.