Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything that really sticks in your craw about tools today?

1. Is there anything that really sticks in your craw about tools today?

I'll tell you what my beef is, but first look at this picture...
    That's a pretty common scratch awl probably found in just about every metal and woodshop across America. You'll even find carpenters with them in their toolbelts on job sites. I'd say it's almost as commonly found as a hammer, pliers, screwdriver is that everybody seems to have multiples of in their homes. I think I must have about a good half-dozen or more of these Stanley scratch awls floating around the shop and that number doesn't include the ones that live in the kitchen tool drawer or other tool boxes I have for dedicated tasks.
    I've heard people call them "ice picks" (are true 'ice-picks' even make these days?) a totally different tool for a different task... now here's a quick comparison that shows that's not an ice pick - this is an ice pick...
    Ice picks on left hand side, scratch awls on right (in case you didn't know)... although, I can easily see how people can confuse the two... but I would never personally use an ice pick to start a screw hole, nor would I use a scratch awl to break a block of ice into pieces... well maybe in an emergency, but right tool, right job has always been my philosophy...looks like I'm quickly getting off on a tangent here. Anyway...
    I don't know why, but I like the handle design of the Stanley scratch awls, at first glance it doesn't look too ergonomic, actually it looks pretty darn awkward for a handle, especially if you think of the kind of handle you find on a screwdriver - but this style just feels right in my hand, maybe it's from years of using this style, I don't know. The first one I bought (way back in about 1978!) was painted blue (or maybe it was stained with some kind of blue dye) and the metal rod extended all the way through the handle to the top so you could strike it without damaging the wood handle. These new ones don't have that feature, the rod stops short, maybe it's a different model, but the stores around here don't seem to carry any other styles. In the picture above they both are same model number, same style, and aside from the color change, see a difference? Maybe the back of packaging will reveal some clues...
    Hey wait a minute! One is "Made in China" and the other says "Made in USA (with Global Materials)." Same exact packaging, same model number, same design/style, but now made completely in a foreign country! Stanley did this without fanfare or announcement, just quietly removed the "U.S.A." from the graphic printed on the handle and then hid on the back of the package it's now China origins. No where on the actual tool does it say where it's made anymore. Too bad... as I won't be buying anymore of these and returning the "China" one to the store. Normally I would tell the girl behind the returns counter exactly why I'm returning it, but in this case it would do little good - the word would never get back to anyone that matters.
    The good news is that as it turns out, I really didn't need it, it was completely an impulse purchase, I saw it hanging on a hook there in the store and thought I should get one to have an extra on hand. But, when I went to put it in my 'new tool drawer' - that's a drawer where I keep new items; mainly various saw blades, drill bits, router bits and that kind of stuff, but I do also have a few sizes of chisels, a dovetail saw (that's probably been in there 30-years, seems they don't wear out nearly as fast as I thought), a 24" back saw (do they even make them that large anymore?), and a few different hammers too -- I already had a brand new, in the package, genuine made in the USA scratch awl in there ready to go should I ever need it. I probably should find a way to keep better track/inventory of this stuff, as this is far from the first time I have purchased something only to find out when I get home that I already have an extra one I purchased sometime previously.
    Being a tool guy and a hobbyist I really care about quality and want nice stuff. When I see a tool I like I buy it, even if I may not have a use for it at that particular moment. But... I also care equally as much about country of origin. I've passed over many things because they were poorly made overseas or simply "Made in China" when "Made in USA" alternatives were readily available. I'll go out of my way to buy products that are made in the USA. And I know others that do exactly the same.
    The thing that really bugs me is that I don't feel these manufactures are actually listening to what customers want. I'm not poor, I don't live in a Third World Country, I will and can afford to pay more for a USA made product. Above all I would just like to buy tools that support the economy that I live in and supporting small American manufactures and inventors. Is that asking for too much?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-28-2014 at 4:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you want a higher quality awl made in the USA, then buy the Klein.

I guess your lesson learned is to read the packaging before buying.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-650-Cush...ustomerReviews
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Like you, I prefer the older USA made awl. In my search using "Stanley Scratch Awl #69-122" on Ebay, I found a few images of the awl brand new in package with the USA printed on the wood handle. I wonder if I'd get a USA made product or the "inferior" product if I order one from Ebay?

Edit: In checking Amazon website.... I see the same USA printed on the wood handle within the package! Will I get USA if I order one?
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 10-27-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Tony
    I just checked my 1913 Stanley Catalogue reprint. It list a No 6 Stanley HURWOOD AWL for $3.00 that looks just like my 60-122 AWL made in USA, that I bought in 1976. Amazon has a Stanley 60-122 made in USA with a black painted handle for $3.95. Little price change for 100 years. Tom

And I thought you were going to say too much plastic.

No, not the craw. The craw!

claw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Tony
    I just checked my 1913 Stanley Catalogue reprint. It list a No 6 Stanley HURWOOD AWL for $3.00 that looks just like my 60-122 AWL made in USA, that I bought in 1976. Amazon has a Stanley 60-122 made in USA with a black painted handle for $3.95. Little price change for 100 years. Tom
    Using historical inflation data, that $3.00 awl in 1913 would cost $72 today. You'd be hard pressed to find a high carbon steel top of the line scratch awl that cost more than 20 dollars today. I get the tool nostalgia thing, but high quality tools are available today for a fraction of what they would have cost 100 years ago (inflation adjusted).
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

you call this tool a scratch awl , why ?
    this were the first tool that I bought , not to scratch BUT to start a hole for a nail
    there was no need to buy hammers since the owners would forget the hammers when they moved

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    you call this tool a scratch awl , why ?
    Ummm. Because that's what it is?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

SV,

You may want to check the catalog price of the awl again. A hundred years ago, many hand tools were price by the dozen. That would make the awl 25 cents. More in line with what it should have cost a hundred years ago.

General comment: never had to hit a scratch all with a mallet, even to make a starter hole. My departed father, a life long shop teacher, would have called me "Primitive Pete" if he caught me doing that. So, I don't see an issue with an awl whose shank does not extend through the handle.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Very expensive awl!

Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin
    Tony
    I just checked my 1913 Stanley Catalogue reprint. It list a No 6 Stanley HURWOOD AWL for $3.00 that looks just like my 60-122 AWL made in USA, that I bought in 1976. Amazon has a Stanley 60-122 made in USA with a black painted handle for $3.95. Little price change for 100 years.

Hello Tom,
    I don't have an old Stanley catalogue around, but you may want to check yours and see if the awl was listed by the box (6 or a dozen) as the Stanley catalogues were meant for dealers, I believe. After all, a Bailey #4 smoother must have been selling for about $1.50 around that time.
    Andre
    Last edited by Andre Packwood; 10-28-2014 at 2:11 PM. Reason: Sorry for the duplication, I thought the reply didn't get into the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    Being a tool guy and a hobbyist I really care about quality and want nice stuff. When I see a tool I like I buy it, even if I may not have a use for it at that particular moment. But... I also care equally as much about country of origin. I've passed over many things because they were poorly made overseas or simply "Made in China" when "Made in USA" alternatives were readily available. I'll go out of my way to buy products that are made in the USA. And I know others that do exactly the same.
    The thing that really bugs me is that I don't feel these manufactures are actually listening to what customers want. I'm not poor, I don't live in a Third World Country, I will and can afford to pay more for a USA made product. Above all I would just like to buy tools that support the economy that I live in and supporting small American manufactures and inventors. Is that asking for too much?
    Tony,

The issue is that manufactures don't care about you, or more specifically the segment of the market you belong to. They care about segments of the market that will buy enough units at a given price to make producing it profitable. The average consumer doesn't care about where a tool is made, as long as is will do the task they purchased it for. Usually a tool is purchased to solve a one time problem. The is the sole reason HF stays in business, as they sell tools that will last long enough to solve the task at hand, and are dirt cheap. People don't fix thing anymore, hence the reason quality tools are hard to find.

The thing that sticks in my crawl, are the people who complain about to many choices. it took all I had to not punch a guy in the face the other day at my local WW store. he started off complaining about how the new LV planes aren't needed, then went on and was complaining about all the boutique saw makers and how they wen't needed either. His premise was that we now had to many options and that it was making beginners confused. God forbid a beginner might spend some time learning about what they need before they start buying stuff.
    -Dan

Stanley catalogue question

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Tony
    Hello Tom,
    I don't have an antique Stanley Tools catalogue around, but you may want to check yours to see if the awl was sold by the box (half-dozen or dozen) as I believe Stanley did for small and inexpensive items in their catalogues meant for dealers. After all, a complete Bailey #4 plane must have been selling for around $1.50 - $2.00 then.
    Regards, Andre

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    Usually a tool is purchased to solve a one time problem. The is the sole reason HF stays in business, as they sell tools that will last long enough to solve the task at hand, and are dirt cheap. People don't fix thing anymore, hence the reason quality tools are hard to find.
    +1.

What the heck. +2.
    Chuck Taylor